Akron will play Western Michigan tonight at 7 at Rhodes Arena. With a win, Akron will move into a tie with Kent State at 10-2 in the MAC.
The Broncos (9-12, 6-5) are one of two MAC West teams above .500 in conference play (Northern Illinois also).
The rely heavily on sophomore center Joe Reitz (15.3 ppg, 7.8 rpg) and senior guard Brian Snyder (12.2 ppg, a MAC-leading 5.5 apg and 1.95 spg).
- Here is the ABJ's preview.
- Here is the Plain Dealer's preview.
- Danny Sheridan of the USA Today says Akron is a 12.5-point favorite.
- Oddsmakers also are calling for a 12.5-point Akron win.
- Call me crazy, but I think Western Michigan will make it closer than most people think.
- My favorite Zips beat reporter Tom Gaffney wrote a good article berating Akronites for not showing up at Rhodes Arena. Gary Estwick wrote about a similar problem at Kent State.
- I blame the students who live in residence halls. Those things should be empty every time the Zips play. RAs should punish students who stay in the dorm, rather than go to the game. The students who go are great fans. There just aren't enough of them.