OHSAA Regional Quarterfinal Football Pairings (Local Teams Only)
Friday Night Games (All games start at 7:30 p.m.)
(8) Ravenna (8-2) at (1) Mentor Lake Catholic (9-1) – Can Parnell Taylor, Zach Thomas and company rush the ball effectively and lead the visiting Ravens to a victory?
(7) Highland (6-4) at (2) Warren Howland (9-1) – Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Wiita family after Highland senior Kory Wiita was severely injured in Week 10. We hope he stays strong and gets better. We wish him the best. The game is definitely secondary, but can the visiting Hornets regroup and secure a playoff win?
(5) Aurora (8-2) at (4) Canfield (9-1) –The Greenmen seek to defend the Division II title they won last year at Canfield.
(8) Cols. Marion-Franklin (8-2) at (1) Louisville (10-0) – The Leopards were ranked No. 1 in the final AP Division II poll. Can the Leopards win five more games and finish 15-0 with a state title?
(8) Field (8-2) at (1) Youngstown Cardinal Mooney (10-0) – The visiting Falcons make their third playoff appearance in a row. The Cardinals are loaded with talent. Field will have to win the turnover battle and control the ball to win.
(7) St. Vincent-St. Mary (6-4) at (2) Poland Seminary (8-2) – The visiting Fighting Irish must limit their turnovers to win and be at their best defensively. Look for playmakers Doran Grant and Mark Murphy to be key if St. V-M secures a victory?
(6) Parma Padua Franciscan (7-3) at (3) Archbishop Hoban (7-3) – A rematch of a North Coast League regular season game that the Knights won 10-6. If Lawrence Wynn rushes the ball effectively and LaTroy Lewis and Greg McMullen lead the defense, look out for Hoban.
(5) Buckeye (8-2) at (4) Hubbard (9-1) – The visiting Bucks look to extend their season at Hubbard’s expense.
(8) Marlington (8-2) at (1) Steubenville (9-1) – The Dukes face a tall task of knocking off the Big Red at home.
(6) Northwest (7-3) at (3) Rayland Buckeye Local (8-2) – The Indians will need to be at their best on both sides of the ball to extend their season.
(8) Waynedale (7-3) at (1) Cuyahoga Heights (10-0) – Waynedale must be at its best to defeat an undefeated team on their own field.
(5) Hillsdale (8-2) at (4) Ashland Crestview (9-1) – Hillsdale hopes its first appearance in the playoffs doesn’t end after one game.
Saturday Night Games (All games start at 7 p.m.)
(8) Canton McKinley (6-4) at (1) Tol. Whitmer (9-1) – The visiting Bulldogs are fresh off a 35-21 win over rival Massillon in Week 10. Can McKinley keep the momentum going with a tenacious defense that features Jewone Snow and Steve Miller and offense that includes Kyle Ohradzansky, Bryce Wilder and Angelo Powell?
(7) Brunswick (7-3) at (2) Twinsburg (9-1) – A rematch off an NOC game that Twinsburg won in the regular season. Can the visiting Blue Devils keep up with the Tigers speedy Dion Johnson, Andrew Collier, Aaron Macer and others.
(6) North Canton Hoover (7-3) at (3) Massillon (7-3) – An intriguing matchup with college-level talent. The Vikings are fresh off a blowout win over a winless team and the host Tigers are coming off a stinging loss to rival McKinley. Players to watch include Hoover running back Erick Howard and Massillon quarterback Robert Partridge. Who’s defense steps up and makes the key stops?
(5) Wadsworth (9-1) at (4) GlenOak (8-2) – Another interesting matchup that pits the champions of the Suburban League against the champions of the Federal League. The Grizzlies rely on Caleb Busson, Jack Snowball, Bart Randolph, Aarick Jones and Anthony Schrock. The host Golden Eagles counter with Collin Daniels Mitchell, Brionte Dunn and Alex Meredith. GlenOak defenders Spyro Spondyl and Andrew Garman could be the difference.
(7) CVCA (7-3) at (2) Girard (10-0) – CVCA looks to rebound after Week 10 loss to rival Manchester. The Royals must face undefeated team and get the rushing game going that features Alex Utley.
(6) Woodridge (8-2) at (3) Martins Ferry (7-2) – The Bulldogs make their first playoff appearance after earning co-champion status in the PTC County Division with Mogadore (a team that defeated this season). Woodridge quarterback Anthony Westren, running back Anthony Kelly and receivers Brandyn Peters and A.J. Graham must make plays and Cameron Hilling has to lead the defense to extend this playoff run.
(5) Cortland Lakeview (7-3) at (4) Manchester (9-1) – The host Panthers are confident after defeating rival CVCA 35-14 in Week 10 to win the PAC title. Running backs Craig Dougherty and Brit Hunter must continue to rush the ball successfully for Manchester.
(6) Bellville Clear Fork (7-3) at (3) Orrville (7-3) – Chase Hoobler and Sam Miller have college-level talent and their contributions are vital to the host Red Riders.
(5) Ottawa-Glandorf (8-2) at (4) Triway (8-2) – Derek Carmichael and Brandon Butcher guide the host Titans attack.
(6) Warren John F. Kennedy (7-3) at (3) Mogadore (9-1) – Jake McAvinew and Kodey Chance lead yet another Wildcats team into the playoffs. Drew Babbitt, Zach Glagola and Matt Traugh are also vital to Mogadore’s success.
(5) Dalton (9-1) at (4) Bucyrus Wynford (10-0) – A battle between two teams that know how to win. Special teams could come into play with balanced offenses and defenses.