Here is a schedule and notes for tonight’s football games that involve area high schools:
(All games are scheduled to start at 7 p.m.)
Canton McKinley (8-4) vs. Massillon Washington (9-3), at University of Akron InfoCision Stadium-Summa Field
- A classic Stark County rivalry game.
- The Bulldogs defeated the Tigers 35-21 in Week 10 at Fawcett Stadium in Canton to conclude the 2009 regular season.
- McKinley’s top players: Sr. RB Bryce Wilder, Jr. DL Steve Miller, Sr. LB Jewone Snow, Sr. DL Jamaal McLain, Sr. OL Dakota Makowski, Sr. PK/P James Forsythe, Sr. DB Jamon McClain, Elijah Farrakhan, Angelo Powell, Doug Fernandez and Ronald Gillom.
- Massillon’s top players: Sr. QB Robert Partridge, Sr. DB-WR Bo Grunder, Jr. WR-DB Devin Smith, Sr. OL Jeff Myers, Sr. LB Spencer Leno, Sr. DB-RB Josh Remark, Jr. WR Justin Olack, Sr. OL Ben Doering, Soph. RB Alex Winters, Sr. DL Joe Studer, Tyler Miller and Danny Huhn.
- The Tigers lead the all-time series 65-50-5. The series started in 1894.
- Since 1999, the Tigers have won nine times and the Bulldogs have won four times.
- The two teams met twice in 2001 and 2005 and Massillon won both state playoff games. The Tigers won both matchups in 2001 and the teams split in 2005. Both regular season games were contested at Fawcett Stadium and the state playoff games were held at the Rubber Bowl in Akron.
- McKinley won 13 out of the first 14 games in the series, with the other game ending in a tie. The series evened up in 1950 at 25-25-5 following a Massillon win and the Tigers have held the advantage ever since. Massillon led the series by extending its edge in the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and 00’s.
Chagrin Falls (12-0) vs. Woodridge (10-2), at Twinsburg Tiger Stadium
- Woodridge has won its first two games in its inaugural trip to the state playoffs.
- Chagrin Falls defeated visiting Woodridge 32-26 earlier this year in Week 3 of the regular season.
- The Bulldogs defeated previously undefeated Girard last week.
- Woodridge features an explosive offense with senior running back Anthony Kelly, senior quarterback Anthony Westren and senior receiver Brandyn Peters playing key roles.
- Kelly and Peters are also important defensive backs for the Bulldogs.
- The Bulldogs' starters along the offensive line are senior Brennan Owens, senior Jeremy Robinson, junior Dillon Shroyer, senior Andy Priddy and junior Jared Page.
- Key Woodridge defenders: Junior safety Sebastian Dodds, junior linebacker Marcus Thompson, senior linebacker Cameron Hilling, junior defensive end Bryan Peters, senior cornerback Zac Bickel, senior linebacker Dave Charles, junior defensive back Josh Conner and Owens at defensive end.
Ottawa-Glandorf (10-2) vs. Orrville (9-3), at Tiffin National Field at Frost-Kalnow Stadium
- The Red Riders hope to keep their state playoff run going.
- Orrville players to watch: Sr. LB Chase Hoobler, Sr. WR Sam Miller, Sr. DL Dennis Raber, QB Joe Besancon, RB Mason Monheim, OL Victor Monheim, OL Vincent Monheim, Jordan Thomas and J.T. Mosely.