Here is the press release:
For Immediate Release
Highland honored with
sportsmanship, ethics and integrity award
MEDINA, OHIO (9/9/09) – Highland Local School District has received the Harold A. Meyer Sportsmanship, Ethics and Integrity Award from the Ohio High School Athletic Association for the 2008-09 school year. The award is named in honor of the late Harold A. Meyer, commissioner of the OHSAA from 1969 to 1977. This marks the 12th time that Highland has received this prestigious award.
“This is a great honor,” said Highland Athletic Director Bo Kuntz. “We strive to build strong character in our athletic programs and I am extremely proud of our student-athletes for their sportsmanship and integrity, both on and off the field. Without their continued commitment to set high standards for themselves, this award would not be possible. I also appreciate the work of everyone in the Athletic Department, specifically our coaching staffs, for helping to make this award a reality.”
Each OHSAA member school is eligible to receive the award by meeting the minimum requirements. The awards are presented to schools that demonstrate they have completed an eight-part program that promotes sportsmanship, ethics and integrity in their schools and communities.
The requirements are as follows:
- A written Board of Education policy on sportsmanship, ethics and integrity in extracurricular activities.
- A broad-based sportsmanship, ethics and integrity committee to coordinate the planning and implementation of a sportsmanship, ethics and integrity program.
- Presentations throughout the school year to coaches, athletes, parents, fans and support groups emphasizing the school’s philosophy on sportsmanship, ethics and integrity.
- An ongoing campaign that promotes sportsmanship, ethics and integrity.
- An annual evaluation of all coaches in the areas of instruction and demonstration of sportsmanship, ethics and integrity.
- A procedure for receiving, investigating and acting upon complaints regarding sportsmanship, ethics and integrity.
- A plan for dealing with critical situations such as heated rivalries, overflow crowds and unruly spectators.
- A program for acknowledging/rewarding examples of good sportsmanship, ethics and integrity.