COLUMBUS – The Ohio High School Athletic Association Board of Directors met Thursday for its regularly scheduled December meeting. The following are highlights from the meeting. The complete set of meeting minutes will be posted later at OHSAA.org.
- The board reviewed the fall sports tournaments, as well as the inaugural Middle School Cross Country Invitational. Final attendance figures and financial reports will be released in January and February.
- The board approved an initial list of two constitution items and six bylaw items that will go to the membership for vote in May: http://www.ohsaa.org/members/ReferendumItems2013-12-12.pdf
- Fourteen schools were recently penalized for committing infractions of OHSAA bylaws or sports regulations. The list of infractions and penalties is always included in the complete meeting minutes, but media members may request the list earlier by emailing Tim Stried, OHSAA Director of Information Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- The girls and boys basketball regional and state tournament draws were conducted and will be posted at OHSAA.org.
- The board approved two changes in wrestling. First, a 215-pound weight class has been added for freshmen wrestling competitions. Second, except for the 2015-16 season, the starting date for regular-season competition has been moved a week earlier than previously published for future seasons so that it is consistent with the start date of the current 2013-14 season, which was Nov. 29.
- The board approved two proposals from the baseball and softball coaches associations. First, in the 2014 baseball and softball tournament regulations, the number of players on the tournament roster has been expanded to 22 players. Second, in the 2014-15 school year season regulations for baseball and softball, the number of games in which an individual player may participate has been expanded to 32 games. Note that the 27-game regular-season contest limit will still apply for teams, but the increased number of games in which an individual student may participate allows for situations such as a junior varsity player getting into a handful of varsity games, or vice versa.
- The board approved the sites and dates for the regional track and field tournaments. The information will be posted on the track page at OHSAA.org.
### OHSAA ###