From the OHSAA:
The Ohio High School Athletic Association Board of Directors met last Thursday morning at the OHSAA office in Columbus for its regularly scheduled October meeting. The following are highlights from the meeting. The complete meeting minutes will be posted at OHSAA.org in the coming days.
- The Board approved the tournament regulations for the winter sports of basketball, bowling, gymnastics, ice hockey, wrestling and swimming & diving. Those tournament regulations will be posted on the respective sport pages at OHSAA.org. In addition to approving the tournament regulations, the state tournament draw in ice hockey was conducted, along with the regional and state tournament draws in girls and boys basketball.
- Included in the basketball tournament regulations are three new notes regarding sportsmanship issues emphasized by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS). Those three items include 1.) prohibiting teams from circling the playing floor upon their entrance onto the court, 2.) requiring that any motivational huddles occur in the team bench area (no longer permitted at mid-court or elsewhere on the court), and 3.) prohibiting fans from throwing anything onto the court or into the air, such as talcum powder.
- In the coming weeks, the OHSAA will release details regarding the schedule for the new wrestling team state tournament, which will begin in 2012-13 season.
- The Board approved the OHSAA’s 7th and 8th grade committee’s brochure updating information for member schools in the areas of eligibility, non-school teams, transfers, recruiting, sportsmanship, instruction and camps.
- The Board approved a change in format for the 2011 swimming and diving state tournament which will feature the swimming finals of both divisions to be held in the evening (in 2011, Division II swimming finals will be Friday evening and Division I Saturday evening). Previously, both divisions held their finals on Saturday, with one of them occurring Saturday morning.
- The Board approved a request from the Soccer Coaches Association to move the start date that contests are permitted in the 2011 season two days earlier, from Monday, Aug. 22 to Saturday, Aug. 20. Note that no extra practice time or an earlier start date for practice accompanied this proposal.
- The Board recognized the contribution of $10,000 to the OHSAA’s officiating development program from the William (Bill) E. Smith Trust. Mr. Smith, who passed away in August 2009, was inducted into the OHSAA’s Officials Hall of Fame in 2001 to recognize his more than 50 years of being an OHSAA official and state rules interpreter.
- The Elysium Tennis Center in Plain City, Ohio, was approved to serve as the indoor location for the state tennis tournament if inclement weather forces play to be moved indoors.
- The site for the 2011, 2012 and 2013 bowling state tournament was approved by the Board to be Wayne Webb’s Columbus Bowl.