We spoke with Canton McKinley football coach Ron Johnson this morning. Here are some topics we discussed:
- Junior LB Jewone Snow has more than 30 scholarship offers. Snow, a first-team all-Ohio player last season, is listed at 6-feet-3 and 228 pounds. Johnson said Snow is much faster this offseason and has been efficient in his conditioning and workouts.
- Johnson indicated Snow could make an early college commitment. Snow and his family have made several unofficial visits going back to last year. No timetable yet.
- McKinley sophomore DE Steve Miller (6-4, 220) is getting plenty of college interest and is one of the best players Johnson has ever been around. (Johnson is a former assistant coach at Miami University in the MAC).
- Bucknuts.com reported last week Miller has offers from Michigan State, Florida and Purdue. Johnson said the offers won't be official until Sept. 1.
- Since there will be no Herbstreit football event at Fawcett Stadium this fall, the Bulldogs will play host to Huber Heights Wayne in Week 2. Wayne is a school near Dayton.
- Two of the state's best players from the 2011 class will be featured during Sept. 5 game against Wayne. McKinley LB Steve Miller and Wayne QB Braxton Miller are among the sophomores with strong college interest. Braxton reportedly has offers from Ohio State and Cincinnati.