- Buchtel FS/QB Jarrod Wilson will graduate early and enroll at the University of Michigan so he can be at spring practice.
- The mascot's name has changed for East High School officially. The teams from East will now be known as the Dragons. instead of the "Orientals". An official with the Akron Public Schools said that a survey was done to choose the name and "Orientals" a term considered offensive by many Asian Americans was the most popular choice with alumni. Apparently some people just don't get it.
- Things are looking up for both Kenmore and North high schools. Coach Ed Peltz of the Cardinals reported that his team is up to 50 members now and North, which could barely field a team last year, is up into the 40s according to coach Mike Laktash.
- Firestone coach Tim Flossie seemed grateful to even be at the event: "I"m glad to be back; it didn't look good for a while there." Flossie came under scrutiny after a parent accused him of hitting their son on two separate occasions last year.
- Buchtel took the City Series crown last year and the consensus among league coaches and the media in attendance was that the Griffins will continue claim another title.
Varsity Letters Archives
- 2013 (140)
- 2012 (326)
- 2011 (402)
- 2010 (492)
- 2009 (627)
- 2008 (123)
- 2007 (230)