BEACON JOURNAL POWER POLL
Week 2 of the 2008 Beacon Journal poll.
1. Walsh Jesuit (III, 1-0): The Warriors came away with an impressive 48-14 win at Licking Valley, which reached the Division III state championship last year. Senior quarterback Kyle Snyder rushed for 249 yards and two touchdowns. Next: Archbishop Hoban.
2. Louisville (II, 1-0): Seniors Neal Seaman (21-of-31, 230 yards) and Brandon Mathie (nine receptions, 134 yards) helped the Leopards defeat Ravenna 29-15. Next: at North Canton Hoover.
3. Northwest (III, 1-0): Running back Dan Beers scored two touchdowns and the Indians scored 20 unanswered points in the fourth quarter for a 34-13 win against Orrville. Next: Firestone.
4. St. Vincent-St. Mary (IV, 1-0): The Irish rushed for 324 yards (163 by senior running back Harvie Tuck IV) in a 31-12 win against Villa Angela-
St. Joseph. Next: at Clear Fork.
5. Massillon (I, 1-0): Bo Grunder caught four touchdown passes from Mike Clark as the Tigers defeated Buchtel 45-29. Next: Jordan (Utah) at Fawcett Stadium on Saturday.
6. Highland (III, 1-0): The Hornets' defense stood tall in a 40-15 win against Rocky River. Next: Buckeye.
7. Nordonia (I, 1-0): The Knights had three touchdowns in a matter of two minutes in the third quarter to defeat Tallmadge 28-7. Next: Wadsworth.
8. Wadsworth (I, 1-0): In the Grizzlies' 35-19 win over Wooster, Aarick Jones scored two touchdowns and Wadsworth scored 21 points in the third quarter. Next: at Nordonia.
9. Brunswick (I, 1-0): The Blue Devils scored 42 points in the first half as running back Brit Musal scored three touchdowns. Quarterback Ricky Manco threw for 150 yards. Next: at Brush.
10. Archbishop Hoban (II, 1-0): The Knights kicked off the season with a thrilling 27-26 overtime win Thursday against Garfield. Quarterback Josh Masters rushed for two touchdowns. Next: at Walsh Jesuit.
11. GlenOak (I, 1-0) The Golden Eagles were in a battle but held on to a 14-7 win against Twinsburg. Next: at Brecksville.
12. Mogadore (VI, 1-0): The Wildcats' defense stepped up in a 27-7 win against Mineral Ridge. Sophomore running back Kodey Chance scored two rushing touchdowns. Next: Holy Trinity (Canada).
13. Waynedale (V, 1-0): Running back Thad Nofsinger scored three touchdowns and the defense didn't allow a touchdown until the fourth quarter in a 55-7 win against Tusky Valley. Next: Danville.
14. North Canton Hoover (I, 1-0): In a 41-22 win against Washington, D.C., Dunbar, junior running back Erick Howard rushed for 185 yards on 22 carries and two touchdowns. Next: Louisville.
15. Lake (II, 1-0): The Blue Streaks trailed by three points with just over two minutes to go before pulling out a 39-30 win against Green. Next: Lucas (Ontario, Canada).
16. Alliance (II, 1-0): Dail'len Cottle rushed for three touchdowns, including a fumble return for a score, in a 39-26 win against Crestwood. Next: at Parma Holy name.
17. Perry (I, 1-0): The Panthers racked up 406 yards on 42 carries, and running back Caleb Laps finished with 163 yards, in a 48-14 win against Barberton. Next: Canton Central Catholic
18. Kent Roosevelt (II, 1-0): The Rough Riders opened things up in a 35-0 win against Kenston. Next: at Stow.
19. Hudson (I, 1-0): Kevin Meyer scored two touchdowns, including a 65-yard return on the opening kickoff, in a 38-16 win at Medina. Next: at Twinsburg.
20. Revere (II, 1-0): John Battaglia rushed for 179 yards and two touchdowns on 39 carries and the defense was strong in a 24-0 win against Firestone. Next: North Royalton.
Others to watch: Aurora, Canton South, Cloverleaf, CVCA, Dalton, Ellet, Field, Firestone, Garrettsville, Garfield, Green, Jackson, Manchester, Norwayne, Ravenna, Streetsboro, Stow, Tallmadge, Tuslaw, Twinsburg.