Five recent high school graduates from the Akron Beacon Journal's five-county coverage area were selected in the 2009 Major League Baseball Draft.
The five were:
- Kyle Smith, a 2006 Louisville High School graduate and Kent State University junior, was selected by the Cleveland Indians in the 20th round with the 605th pick. Smith is 21-years-old. He is a 6-foot-6 and 220-pound right-handed pitcher.
- Jordan Petraitis, a 2005 Manchester High School graduate and Miami University senior, was selected by the Chicago Cubs in the 28th round with the 860th pick. Petraitis is 22-years-old. He is a 6-foot-3 and 201-pound infielder.
- Jeff Cinadr, a 2005 Hudson High School graduate and University of Toldeo senior, was selected by the Tampa Bay Rays in the 36th round with the 1099th pick. Cinadr is 21-years-old. He is a 6-foot-6 and 200-pound right-handed pitcher.
- Jonathan Kountis, a 2006 Firestone High School graduate and Ohio Dominican University junior, was selected by the Cleveland Indians in the 42nd round with the 1,265th pick. Kountis is 21-years-old. He is a 6-foot-3 and 225-pound right-handed pitcher.
- Jason Patton, a 2005 Perry High School graduate and Kent State University senior, was selected by the Tampa Bays in the 47th round with the 1,429th pick. Patton is 22-years-old. He is a 6-foot-4 and 195-pound outfielder.
Congratulations to all five baseball players.
- 2013 (134)
- 2012 (326)
- 2011 (402)
- 2010 (492)
- 2009 (627)
- 2008 (123)
- 2007 (230)