Facts and figures about the key executives in the dispute between Timken Co. and two large institutional shareholders:
• Who: Founder and principal, Relational Investors LLC investment firm.
• Age: 57.
• Background: Co-founded Relational in 1996. Interim chairman of Hewlett-Packard. Has served on the boards of Apria Healthcare Group Inc., Genzyme Corp., Hewlett-Packard Co., Mattel Inc., Sirius Satellite Radio Inc., Sovereign Bancorp Inc., Sprint Nextel Corp., Tektronix Inc., United Thermal Corp. Waste Management Inc., and Wilshire Technologies Inc.
• Other: From 1986 to 1994, he was president of United Shareholders Association. From 1981 to 1984, he served on the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee staff of Sen. Paul Laxalt.
• Who: President and chief executive officer, Timken Co., since 2002
• Age: 59.
• Background: Griffith joined Timken in 1984 and has been a plant manager, vice president of manufacturing in North America, managing director in Australia, head of Timken’s North America automotive business and head of bearing business activities in Asia and Latin America. He was promoted to president and chief operating officer in 1999.
Ward J. “Tim” Timken Jr.
• Who: Chairman, Timken Co., since 2005 and a director since 2002.
• Age: 45.
• Background: He previously was president of Timken’s steel business from 2004 to 2005, corporate vice president from 2000 to 2003 and held leadership positions in Timken’s European and Latin American businesses from 1992 to 2000. Prior to joining Timken, he opened and ran the Washington, D.C., office of McGough & Associates, a Columbus-based government affairs consulting firm.
Sources: Timken Co. and Relational Investors LLC.