The Consumer Debt Clinics — also called credit-card or municipal clinics — are offered free by Community Legal Aid in several locations, The clinics take about an hour and a half. Bring your summons with you to the clinic, if you have one.
It is not necessary to go to the clinic for a particular court; however, it is recommended that you attend a clinic in your own county.
Here’s the general schedule. Holidays or other events may change the dates.
• Akron Municipal Court: Held at Akron Municipal Court, Room 814, 217 S. High St., Akron, at 9 a.m. on the first Saturday of the month and 2:30 p.m. on the third Friday of the month.
• Barberton Municipal Court: Held at Barberton Library, 602 W. Park Ave., Barberton, at 5:30 p.m. on the third Monday of the month.
• Stow Municipal Court: Held at Cuyahoga Falls Library, 2015 Third St., Cuyahoga Falls, at 4 p.m. on the third Wednesday of the month. There will be no class Nov. 21.
• Kent or Ravenna Municipal Court: Held at Coleman Professional Building, 3922 Loomis Parkway, Ravenna, at 6 p.m. on the third Thursday of the month.
• Canton or Massillon Municipal Court: Held at Legal Aid’s Canton office, 306 Market Ave. N., Canton, at 5:30 p.m. on the second Tuesday of the month.
Legal Aid is also available for income-eligible consumers for other legal matters. The agency prefers that consumers try to find information or contact the agency via the website first at www.communitylegalaid.org. The phone number is 800-998-9454. The agency also has walk-in community clinics for income-eligible consumers throughout the area.