Hip to Square
Jack Dorsey’s mobile payments company offers a growing suite of products:
• Square Reader: Lets anyone accept credit cards via a smartphone or tablet for a 2.75 percent transaction fee.
• Square Register: Helps merchants track payments, manage inventory and share menu information with customers.
• Square Wallet: Allows consumers to pay at local businesses automatically via smartphone.
• Square Market: Newest addition is an eBay-like marketplace that lets Square Register users set up online storefronts.
Facts about Jack
Data on Jack Dorsey, who helped build two billion-dollar companies — Twitter and Square — at the same time.
• Age: 36
• Born: St. Louis
• Education: Dropped out of New York University to launch his first Silicon Valley company in 2000.
• Lives: San Francisco
• Making history: In March 2006, Dorsey sent the world’s first tweet: “just setting up my twttr.”
• Human touch: Takes every new Square employee on a walking tour of San Francisco.
Source: San Jose Mercury News