Since Republican Party leaders John Boehner in the House and Mitch McConnell in the Senate drank the tea party tea after its success in the 2010 House elections, we basically have one dysfunctional entity of the national government, namely the U.S. Congress.
It’s time that the citizens of the United States march on Washington to surround the Capitol and starve the beast.
Let’s let the 800,000 unpaid federal workers lead the way in this non-violent demonstration to take back our government from the tea party Republicans.
Let’s cut off the water supply to the Capitol building and have millions of ordinary citizens, who are now under siege because of the tea party coup, block all doors and underground tunnels. Nobody goes in, nobody goes out, unless he or she signs a new pledge to disavow Grover Norquist’s pledge to reduce the size of the national government and “drown it in the bathtub.”
After a few days without food and water and with toilets running over, these tea party Republicans who represent the 1 percent at the top who need no government should be more than willing to cooperate with the rest of us, the 99 percent of citizens who do need government.
John R. Beaty
United Way supports Issue 1
United Way of Summit County’s mission is to improve lives by mobilizing community resources, and we encourage collaboration among service providers, government entities and the business community.
A “collective impact” model provides the greatest success for any health and human service effort. Our Summit County Alcohol Drug Addiction and Mental Health Board has understood that concept for many years, providing funding for 26 agencies that provide screening, assessment, referral and treatment for adults experiencing mental health or substance abuse emergencies or crises 24 hours a day.
A vote for Issue 1 will allow this great work to continue and support entire families through programs that give our younger generations the best possible start in life. And in these economically difficult times, it’s important to note that this is not a new tax.
Our board of directors has endorsed Issue 1. On Nov. 5, I hope you’ll join us by voting for Issue 1.
United Way of Summit County
Feel the pain of sewer rates
It is my understanding that the city of Akron has put forth plans to help ease the financial pain on the people of Akron for new sewers only to have them rejected by U.S. District Court Judge John Adams. If this is the case, could the Republican-appointed judge be playing politics with the mostly Democratic leaders of Akron? I hope not.
I know the members our local represents cannot afford the high increases in sewer rates that have been discussed so far. If there are more reasonable financial alternatives to this problem, we hope Judge Adams would put politics aside and take a long hard look at them.
If people making far above the minimum wage cannot afford such a huge financial hit like this, how does he expect minimum-wage workers to absorb such a hit?
United Steelworkers Local 2L
What goes around comes around. Do not support Issue 2. Let’s not forget how the Metro Parks treated the Corsair Model Aircraft Club.
After 34 years at the Summit County Fairgrounds, the club was displaced so Metro Parks could waste taxpayer money to build a virtually unused walking trail.
I will never forget this injustice, and I hope others will agree with me.