Appliances acting up? Here are some simple fixes from appliance-and electronic-parts retailer PartSelect.com:
• If your ice machine is on the fritz, the problem may be with the inlet valve. Thaw it out or replace it.
• A clothes dryer that's taking longer to work probably has lint restricting its venting hose. That could be a fire hazard, too. Try removing the lint with a vacuum cleaner. While you're at it, replace the lint filter.
• If your microwave is making rattling noises or the food isn't cooking completely, the problem may be with the carousel cooking tray or its wheels. Either can be replaced.
• A smelly garbage disposal can be cleaned by grinding a mixture of ice and either salt or vinegar in it. Follow that by grinding some citrus peels.
• Improve your oven's effectiveness by replacing the seal or cracked glass. The repair can cut your energy bill, too.