Owners of woodlands can learn strategies for managing them at Your Woods, Water & Wildlife, a workshop sponsored by Ohio State University Extension’s Ohio Woodland Stewards Program.
The workshop is from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 10 at Der Dutchman Restaurant on state Route 97 in Bellville, one-half mile east of I-71.
Among the topics are attracting wildlife, controlling invasive plants, selling timber and managing ponds.
Participants who register by Oct. 29 pay $40. Those who register between Oct. 30 and Nov. 5 pay $50.
Information and an online registration form are at http://woodlandstewards.osu.edu.
Garden wins certification
Cleveland Botanical Garden is the first organization in Ohio to earn certification from the Sustainable Sites Initiative.
The certification recognizes the garden’s efforts to integrate green practices into its operations and landscaping, and to show visitors how to do the same.
The garden’s efforts have included installing a low-maintenance lawn, a rain garden, native plants and a green roof; training new employees in green practices; and establishing a committee to monitor operations.
It is one of 11 organizations nationwide to be certified.
Minwax is recognizing people who use woodworking or wood finishing to improve their communities.
The company’s Do Good With Wood program honors people who engage in volunteer projects that involve, but are not limited to, working with wood and wood finishing.
The first-prize winner will receive $5,000, $1,000 worth of Minwax projects and a consultation from wood finishing expert Bruce Johnson. The second prize is $2,000 and $500 worth of products.
In addition, monthly prizes of products will be awarded to winners chosen randomly during the submission period.
Details are at www.minwax.com/about-us/do-good-with-wood-award.
• Autumn Discovery Day, 9 a.m. to noon today, Secrest Arboretum, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, 1680 Madison Ave., Wooster Township. Tree and shrub sale. Free admission. http://secrest.osu.edu, 330-464-2148 or email@example.com.
• Holiday Boutique, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. today, Canton Woman’s Club, 822 Market Ave. N., Canton. Twenty specialty shops, Christmas room, homemade baked goods and treats. Meals available. Free admission. 330-453-4802.
• Ohio Mart and Stitchery Showcase, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. today and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens, 714 N. Portage Path, Akron. Arts and crafts fair and needleworking show. $8; youth 6-17, $2; younger children and members, free. www.stanhywet.org or 330-836-5533.
• Cleveland Bonsai Club Show, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. today and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, Cleveland Botanical Garden, 11030 East Blvd. 216-721-1600 or www.cbgarden.org.
• Make ’N’ Take Monday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, Lodi Library, 635 Wooster St. Crafts for all ages. www.mcdl.info or 330-948-1885.
• Knitty Gritters, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday, Lake Community Branch of Stark County District Library, 11955 Market Ave. N, Lake Township. Instructions for beginning knitters. 330-877-9975.
• Knitting and Crocheting Circle, 10 a.m. Tuesday, Brunswick Library, 3649 Center Road. Registration: 330-273-4150.
• Needlework Circle meeting, 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Seville Library, North Center Street. 330-769-2852.
• Garden Forum of Greater Akron meeting, 10 a.m. Thursday, Stan Hywet Carriage House, 714 N. Portage Path, Akron. Program: Gardens of Ohio by photographer Ian Adams. 330-571-6030.
• Homegirl barn sale, 6-9 p.m. Thursday and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday and next Saturday, 2357 Hudson-Aurora Road, Hudson. Sale of vintage and repurposed furniture, accessories and artwork. www.homegirlshop.com.
• Twinsburg Garden Club meeting, 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Twinsburg Senior Center in the community center, 10260 Ravenna Road (behind the outdoor water park). Program: presentation on Gardens of the Week and announcement of the Garden of the Year. 330-425-3626 or www.twinsburg-garden-club.com.
• Antiques Appraisal Fair, Consignment Shop and Cafe, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 13, Aurora Memorial Library, 115 E. Pioneer Trail. $5 for one appraisal, $10 for three. Sponsored by the Aurora Historical Society. Consignment shop will accept collectibles that are at least 50 years old from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday in the library gallery. http://aurorahistorical.org or 330-995-3336.
• Make ’N’ Take 4 Grown-Ups, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 13, Seville Library, North Center Street. Make a ribbon bookmark. Registration: 330-769-2852.
• Wildlife Conflicts, 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Oct. 18, Chippewa Lake Park’s Krabill Shelter, 7597 Ballash Road, Lafayette Township, Medina County. Workshop on reducing wildlife damage. Presented by Ohio State University Extension’s Ohio Woodland Stewards Program. $35. Register by Thursday at firstname.lastname@example.org or 614-688-3421.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to email@example.com or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also become a fan on Facebook at http://tinyurl.com/mbbreck. Read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.