Virginia Williams is only 9, but she’s already a champion gardener.
Virginia, a fourth-grader at Arrowhead School in Copley Township, was recently honored by the Gardeners of Greater Akron as the winner of its Big Pumpkin and Giant Sunflower Contest.
She won for growing a pumpkin that weighed 23 pounds and a sunflower that measured 8 feet tall at the bend, with a seed head that was more than 18 inches across. Besides caring for the plants, Virginia recorded weather data and information about their growth in her garden journal.
She is the daughter of Michael and Heather Williams of Copley.
The annual competition is sponsored nationally by the Gardeners of America/Men’s Garden Clubs of America.
Gardeners of Greater Akron also presented beautification awards to Portage Country Club for its grounds, gardens and landscaping; Akron resident Aretha McReynolds and her family for their flowers and vegetable garden; and Sam and Lora Morlan of Wadsworth for their gardens.
Storm relief donation
Crate and Barrel will celebrate its 50th anniversary next week by donating a portion of its sales to help people affected by Hurricane Sandy.
The retailer has pledged to contribute $5 from every online and in-store purchase made Friday to Rebuilding Together, up to $250,000. Rebuilding Together is a nonprofit organization that rebuilds the homes and lives of American homeowners in need.
The donation is part of Crate and Barrel’s promise to donate at least $1.5 million to the organization over three years.
Rug cleaning hot line
Rug Doctor is helping to keep carpets looking their best for the holidays.
Through Feb. 1, the carpet-cleaning company is sponsoring a holiday hot line with information on removing a range of carpet stains. The hot line is at 800-RUG DOCTOR (800-784-3628). Choose option 5 and then wait for a customer service representative.
• Gifty Knits and Christmas Crochet Drop-in Workshop, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today, Brunswick Library, 3649 Center Road. Yarn-crafting tips and gift ideas. Beginners welcome. www.mcdl.info or 330-273-4150.
• Brunswick Kiwanis Christmas Craft Fair, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. today, Brunswick Recreation Center, 3637 Center Road. Free admission.
• Holiday Home Tour, 1-5 p.m. today, starting at the Canton Garden Center, 1615 Stadium Park Drive NW. Tour of six homes in Canton’s West Park neighborhood. $10 for one person or $15 for two. Proceeds support the holiday light display at Stadium Park. www.westparkneighborhood.org.
• Holiday Arts & Crafts Show, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. today and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, E.J. Thomas Hall, 198 Hill St., University of Akron campus. $4.50; seniors $4; 12 and younger free. Free parking. www.ejthomashall.com.
• Holiday House, noon to 4 p.m. today and Sunday, 1117 Forest Drive, Wooster. Midcentury modern home is decorated for the holidays. Tickets $10 ($9 with a Buehler’s Advantage Card), available at Buehler’s stores in Wayne County. Event benefits Every Woman’s House.
• Carrousel of Crafts, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, Wadsworth Middle School, 150 Silvercreek Road. More than 100 crafters, food, entertainment. 12 and older $3; 65 and older $2. Sponsored by the Wadsworth Newcomers Club. Proceeds benefit area charities. www.carrouselofcrafts.com or 330-730-4273.
• Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, Tangier, 532 W. Market St., Akron. Juried show of handmade items by more than 100 artists and crafters. Admission and parking are free. Part of the proceeds will benefit Jade’s No-Kill Rescue animal rescue facility. www.avantgardeshows.com.
• Holiday Home Tour, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, Medina. Tour of five historical homes and two other buildings decorated for the season. Sponsored by the Medina Community Design Committee. $20. Tickets available in advance at all Buehler’s and Project: Learn BookShelf stores in Medina County, Miss Molly’s Tea Room and the Medina County Visitors and Convention Bureau. On Sunday, tickets are available at the Western Reserve Bank drive-through at 4015 Medina Road (11:55 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. only); United Church of Christ, Congregational on the northeast corner of the town square; or Munson House, 141 Prospect St. Proceeds benefit the design committee and its work for community beautification and preservation. 330-725-7516 or email@example.com.
• Sugar Plum Tour, 2-5:30 p.m. Sunday, starting at Angel Falls Coffee Co., 792 W. Market St., Akron. Self-guided tour of five homes decorated for the holidays. $25. Proceeds benefit the Akron Community Foundation’s Gay Community Endowment Fund. www.sugarplumtour.org.
• Book Lover’s Book Mark, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, Highland Library, 4160 Ridge Road, Granger Township, Medina County. Youth ages 11 to 18 can make a bookmark anytime while supplies last. www.mcdl.info, 330-278-4271 or 330-239-2674.
• Knitty Gritters meeting, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday, Lake Community Branch of Stark County District Library, 11955 Market Ave. N, Lake Township. Instructions for beginning knitters. 330-877-9975.
• Card Making, 6 p.m. Monday, Brunswick Library, 3649 Center Road. Create 10 cards. $10. Registration: www.mcdl.info or 330-273-4150.
• Knitting and Crocheting Circle meeting, 10 a.m. to noon Tuesday, Brunswick Library, 3649 Center Road. Registration: 330-273-4150.
• Holiday Fairy Garden Workshop, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Graf Growers Garden Center, 1015 White Pond Drive, Copley Township. Create a fairy garden in a pot brought from home or purchased at the garden center. Class is free, but customers buy plants and accessories. Potting soil will be provided. Registration: 330-836-2727.
• Warm Up Akron meeting, 2 p.m. Thursday, Danbury of North Canton, 181 Applegrove St. NE. Members knit or crochet squares that are used to make afghans for needy people in the Akron area. Information: 330-699-3252 or http://warmupakron.webs.com.
• Needlework Circle meeting, 6 p.m. Thursdays, Seville Library, North Center Street. 330-769-2852.
• Winter Barn Sale, Thursday through Dec. 9, Portage Trail Barn, 151 Portage Trail Extension W, Cuyahoga Falls. Handmade and repurposed items. Hours: 3-8 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dec. 8 and 9. www.PortageTrailBarn.com.
• Hook & Needle Club meeting, 10:30 a.m. Friday, Buckeye Library, 6625 Wolff Road, York Township, Medina County. People of all ages and skill levels welcome. Registration: 330-725-4415.
• Lounge, 5-10 p.m. Friday, Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland, 11400 Euclid Ave. Sale of contemporary furniture and home accents, demonstrations, music, cash bar. Members free; others $10. www.MOCAcleveland.org.
• Guided Bird Walk, 9-11 a.m. Dec. 8, Secrest Arboretum, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, 1680 Madison Ave., Wooster Township. Meet at Seaman Orientation Plaza. Free. firstname.lastname@example.org, 330-464-2148 or http://secrest.osu.edu.
• Knitting and Crocheting Circle meeting, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 8, Highland Library, 4160 Ridge Road, Granger Township, Medina County. Registration and supply list: 330-278-4271 or 330-239-2674.
• Holiday tours, 1-4 p.m. Saturdays through Dec. 22, Perkins Stone Mansion, 550 Copley Road, Akron. $6, seniors $4, students $2, members free. www.summithistory.org.
• Holiday Memories, through Dec. 30, Hower House, 60 Fir Hill, Akron. Victorian mansion is decorated to reflect memories of holidays past. Self-guided tours noon to 3:30 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays; guided and group tours by appointment. Closed Dec. 24-26. $8; 65 and older $6; students $2; children 6 and younger free with adult. 330-972-6909 or www.uakron.edu/howerhse.
• Deck the Hall, through Dec. 30, Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens, 714 N. Portage Path, Akron. Music-theme holiday decorations in the Manor House, lighted grounds, entertainment and visits with Mr. Jingeling. Open 5-8 p.m. today, Sunday, Thursday, Friday and Dec. 8-9, 13-23 and 26-30. Members, $13.50 for adults and $5.50 for youth; others, $17 for adults and $7 for youth. 5 and younger admitted free. Tickets available at the door or in advance at 330-836-5533 or www.stanhywet.org.
• Glow, through Dec. 31, Cleveland Botanical Garden, 11030 East Blvd. Holiday plantings, trees and decorations, along with entertainment, a gingerbread house display and a Garden Express train ride. Open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays; 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays; and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays. Closed Mondays except Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve. $12, children 3 to 12 $6.50, members and younger children free. 216-721-1600 or www.cbgarden.org.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to email@example.com or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also become a fan on Facebook at http://tinyurl.com/mbbreck, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckenridge and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.