Nine Northeast Ohio quilt shops are teaming up for a Sweet Treats Quilt Shop Hop, starting Wednesday and continuing through April 20.
To carry out the theme “Strips and Dips,” the stores have designed projects using narrow batik fabric strips called jelly roll strips, and they’ll offer dips to sample.
Participants will be eligible for prizes. Those who visit all the shops will receive a copy of the book Confetti in the Corner by Terry Atkinson.
Participating shops are Anna’s Sewing Center in North Olmsted, A Piece in Time in Akron, Bernina Store & Sew Much More in Twinsburg, Cottonpicker’s Quilt Shop in Chardon, Mara’s Fabric & Gifts in Eastlake, Quilter’s Source in Parma, the Polka Dot Pincushion in Richfield and the Craft Cupboard and Tiny Stitches, both in Middlefield.
Shop hours vary, but all will be open at least from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays and Saturdays during the event.
Details are at www.quiltersfling.com.
Five Akron-area companies were among the honorees in a recent remodeling competition by the Greater Cleveland Chapter of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry.
• American Wood Reface, Copley, second place for residential kitchen, $15,000 to $30,000.
• Anthony Slabaugh Remodeling & Design, Stow, first place for residential addition under $100,000.
• Architectural Justice, Medina, first place for residential interior, $100,000 to $250,000, and residential interior, over $250,000; second place for residential kitchen, $60,000 to $100,000, and residential kitchen, $100,000 to $250,000; and honorable mention for residential bath, $30,000 to $60,000.
• Cabinet-S-Top, Granger Township, honorable mention for residential kitchen, $60,000 to $100,000.
• S&K Remodeling Inc., Hinckley, second place for residential bath, $30,000 to $60,000.
The winners were honored at the chapter’s annual Evening of Excellence on March 15 at the Cleveland Marriott Downtown at Key Center.
The local landscape industry is boasting award winners, too.
At the Ohio Landscape Association’s awards ceremony March 21 at Cleveland Botanical Garden, five Akron-area companies took home awards. They are:
• Todd’s Enviroscapes, Louisville, honor award for residential maintenance.
• Graf’s Landscape and Design, Akron, merit award for residential installation.
• Rice’s Nursery & Landscaping, North Canton, honor award for garden structures and pavements, and two merit awards for residential installation.
• Vizmeg Landscape, Stow, merit award for residential installation.
• Summit Landscape, Norton, merit award for best use of color.
• Donzell’s Flower & Garden Center events, 937 E. Waterloo Road, Akron. Free soil testing, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. each Saturday in April. Scotts Lawn Care seminar, 11 a.m. April 13, Speaker: Jason Strike of Scotts Co. Free. Reservations: 330-724-0550, ext. 110.
• Quail Hollow Herb Society meeting, 2 p.m. Sunday, Quail Hollow State Park Manor House, 13480 Congress Lake Ave., Lake Township near Hartville. Program: Low Maintenance Gardens. 330-493-0913.
• Water gardening seminars, Sunday and April 13, Water X Scapes, 1021 E. Caston Road, Green. Pond Planning, Design & Construction, 12:30 p.m. Sunday and 9:30 a.m. April 13. Lakes & Pond — Earthen Bottom, 3 p.m. Sunday and 12:30 p.m. April 13. Free, but reservations are requested at 330-896-9811.
• Backyard Chickens, 6-8:30 p.m. Tuesday, Stone Cottage Farm & Garden, 2580 Northampton Road, Cuyahoga Falls. $25. Registration: www.cvcountryside.org (click on “Community,” then “Workshops”).
• Design Your Kitchen the Right Way!, 7 p.m. Tuesday, Studio 76 Kitchens & Baths, 9122 Ravenna Road, Twinsburg. Program intended for homeowners planning a remodel. $12; $16 couple. Registration: 330-487-1176.
• Swarms and Swarm Management, 9-10 a.m. Wednesday. Part of the Ohio State University Bee Lab webinar series. Free. Webinar recording may be viewed after the event. To participate, join the Bee Lab mailing list at www.osupollination.com. Information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-263-3723.
• The Sustainable Garden, 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Brushwood Pavilion, Furnace Run Metro Park, 4955 Townsend Road, Richfield. Program on incorporating environmentally sound practices and design in the landscape. $10; master gardener volunteers and Ohio certified volunteer naturalists, $5. Registration: 330-928-4769, ext. 17.
• Twinsburg Garden Club meeting, 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Twinsburg Senior Center in the community center, 10260 Ravenna Road. Program: Talk on differences between terrariums and fairy garden, and opportunity to make a fairy garden. Members $5, others $10. Registration deadline Sunday. Reservations: 330-608-7017 or 330-425-3626. Information: www.twinsburg-garden-club.com.
• Real Estate and Finance, 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Keller Williams Chervenic Realty offices. Seminar on topics including loans, credit reports, private mortgage insurance and foreclosures and short sales. Presented by the realty company and First Federal Lakewood. Free, but reservations are required by calling the offices: 3333 Massillon Road, Green (330-899-1644); 3070 W. Market St., Fairlawn (330-836-4300); 148 N. Main St., Hudson (330-650-0050); 120 W. Aurora Road, Northfield Center Township (330-467-7000); and 3589 Darrow Road, Stow (330-686-1644). Seminar will be repeated at the same time April 18 and 25.
• Guided Bird Walk, 9-11 a.m. April 13, Secrest Arboretum, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, 1680 Madison Ave., Wooster Township. Meet at Seaman Orientation Plaza. Free. 330-464-2148.
• Garden Mosaic With Eileen Gross, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 13, Peninsula Art Academy, 1600 W. Mill St. Class open to teens and adults. No experience required. Members $80, others $90. Registration: 330-657-2248 or http://peninsulaartacademy.com.
• Cleveland Botanical Garden events, 11030 East Blvd. Big Spring through April 28, featuring children’s events and more than 3,000 spring flowers in bloom. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays; 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays; and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays. $12; $8 for children ages 3 to 12; members and younger children, free. S-HORT Course for Kids: Bug Terrarium Workshop, 12-:30-1:30 p.m. April 13 (members $25, others $35, registration required). Tickets and program registration: 216-721-1600, ext. 100, or www.cbgarden.org.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to email@example.com or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also become a fan on Facebook at http://tinyurl.com/mbbreck, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckenridge and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.