The Summit Soil and Water Conservation District is making it easy to add a native plant garden to your landscape.
The district is selling five types of native plant kits, each containing 38 plant plugs representing 10 to 12 plant varieties. Kits are available for rain gardens, butterfly/bird gardens, pollinator gardens, shady areas and wetlands.
Each kit is $100. Ordering deadline is March 29.
Details and an order form are at http://summitswcd.org, or call 330-929-2871, ext. 16.
Honors at banquet
The Garden Club of Kent honored members and others at its 66th annual President’s Banquet on Jan. 28 at the NEOMED Conference and Event Center in Rootstown Township.
These award recipients were recognized:
• Ron Burbick, Paul & Leah Houser Community Beautification Award.
• John Gwinn, Lifetime Achievement Award.
• Judy Woudenberg, Horticulture Award.
• John McAlarney, Service Award.
• Claudia Miller, Marianne McAlarney, John Siefer, Dennis Arbor, Elisa Loveland and Karen Smith, Annual Achievement Awards.
• AquaDoc, Friends of the Garden Club of Kent Award.
Top master gardener
For the second consecutive year, Connie Ogilvie has been named 2012 Medina County Master Gardener of the Year.
The Hinckley resident has been a Medina master gardener since 2009. She was honored for accumulating the most points for activities, including serving as project manager for the horticulture hot line and an Earth Day exhibitor, and interviewing and working with prospective master gardener interns.
She also assists the master gardeners in Summit and Cuyahoga counties.
• ZeroLandfill Akron, 9 a.m. to noon today and Feb. 23, 21 W. North St. Materials samples distributed free to artists and art educators for use in their work. www.facebook.com/ZeroLandfillAkron.
• Cleveland Botanical Garden events, 11030 East Blvd. Orchid Mania, through March 10. Greater Cleveland Orchid Society Show & Sale, noon to 5 p.m. today and Sunday; orchid programs, 1, 2:15 and 3:30 p.m. both days. Eleanor Squire Library Tea, 2-4:30 p.m. Feb. 24 (members $35, others $45, reservations required). Garden admission: $9.50; children ages 3-12, $4; members and younger children, free. 216-721-1600 or www.cbgarden.org.
• Gardeners of Greater Akron meeting, Monday evening, St. George Fellowship Centre, 3204 Ridgewood Road, Copley Township. Social hour starts at 5:30, dinner at 6:30. Program: Urban Gardening. Cost: $13. Reservations: 330-336-6269. Information: 330-673-3553 or http://ohiogardeners.org.
• Knitting and Crocheting Circle meeting, 10 a.m. to noon Tuesday, Brunswick Library, 3649 Center Road. 330-273-4150.
• Yarncrafters meetings, 1-3 and 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Medina Library, 210 S. Broadway. Knitting and crocheting group. www.mcdl.info or 330-725-0588.
• Needlework Circle meeting, 6 p.m. Thursdays, Seville Library, North Center Street. 330-769-2852.
• HBA Akron Home and Flower Show, Friday through Feb. 24, John S. Knight Center, 77 E. Mill St. Exhibits, stage presentations, indoor gardens, Eco Living Experience. Hours: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and Feb. 23; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Feb. 24. Tickets: $8 at the door or $7 in advance at www.akronhomeandflowershow.com. Children 12 and younger admitted free.
• Ideas and Inspiration for Improving Your Landscape, 10-11:30 a.m. Feb. 23, Graf Growers Garden Center, 1015 White Pond Drive, Copley Township. Speaker: Craig Graf, Graf Growers. Free. Registration: 330-836-2727, or use the mail-in form at www.grafgrowers.com.
• Think Spring, 11 a.m. Feb. 23, Donzell’s Flower & Garden Center, 937 E. Waterloo Road, Akron. Speaker: Vanessa Moyer, Donzell’s. Free. Registration: 330-724-0550, ext. 110.
• Made in the Shade: Best Plants for Low Light, 11 a.m. Feb. 23, Dayton Nurseries, 3459 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road, Norton. Speaker: Cynthia Druckenbrod, Cleveland Botanical Garden. Garden club members, $6; others, $10. Seating is limited. Advance payment is requested, but participants may pay at the door. Registration: 330-825-3320 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or fill out the form at www.daytonnursery.com.
• Garden Club of Kent meeting, Feb. 25, Kent United Methodist Church, 1435 E. Main St. Dinner at 6:30 p.m., program at 7:30. Speaker: conservationist Emliss Ricks. Dinner $9. Reservations due Friday at 330-673-1686.
• Saturday Gardening Series, 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. March 2 and 9, Messiah Lutheran Church, 4700 S. Main St., Akron. Sessions on a variety of gardening topics. Presented by the Summit County Master Gardeners. $60. Registration deadline is Friday. Details: www.summitmastergardeners.org, 330-338-7255 or Saturdaygardening@gmail.com.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to email@example.com or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also become a fan on Facebook at http://tinyurl.com/mbbreck, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckenridge and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.