HGTV’s David Bromstad will make appearances today during the NARI Remodel Ohio Home Improvement Show at Cleveland’s I-X Center.
Bromstad, winner of HGTV’s first Design Star competition and host of the shows Color Splash, Color Splash: Miami and The White Room Challenge, will be onstage at noon, 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. He will sign autographs at the Sherwin-Williams booth after each appearance.
Other highlights of the home improvement show are a home designed for all ages, designer rooms, a pool and spa show and a custom doghouse auction.
The show is open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. today and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday at the I-X Center, off state Route 237 next to Cleveland Hopkins Airport.
Admission is $14. Children younger than 16 are admitted free. Parking is $8.
Information and a discount coupon are at www.remodelohio.org.
Seedlings, rain barrels
Tree seedlings, flower seeds and rain barrels are again being offered for sale by the Summit Soil and Water Conservation District.
Various seedling packets are available at prices ranging from $10 to $26. Annual and perennial seed mixes and bird and butterfly seed mixes are also available.
Rain barrels are $80 each and come with a spigot, overflow hose and sight gauge. A linking barrel for additional water storage can be purchased for $50 and comes with a hose to attach to the main barrel.
The barrels are 55-gallon blue plastic drums with removable lids.
Details and an order form are at www.summitswcd.org (click on “2013 Tree Seedling Sale”).
Trees must be ordered by March 29, or March 22 for bulk deciduous trees. They must be picked up between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. April 12 at the district office, 2525 State Road, Cuyahoga Falls.
Barrels ordered by March 29 will be available for pickup April 12. For orders placed after March 29, barrels will be available for pickup about two weeks after the order is placed.
For more information, call 330-929-2871, ext. 16.
Grants for horticulture-related projects, programs or events are available from the Master Gardeners of Summit County.
Grants of up to $1,000 are available to qualifying nonprofit, educational and public organizations in Summit County. Projects must have an educational element to be considered.
Information and an application packet are at http://summitmastergardeners.org (click on “Grants” under the “Resources” tab).
Application deadline is Feb. 23.
For additional information, send email to email@example.com.
• Recycled Bird Feeders, 1-3 p.m. today, Cleveland Botanical Garden, 11030 East Blvd. Families will use recycled materials to make bird feeders. Free with garden admission ($9.50; children ages 3-12, $4; members and younger children, free). 216-721-1600 or www.cbgarden.org.
• Knitting and Crocheting Circle meeting, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. today and Jan. 26, Highland Library, 4160 Ridge Road, Granger Township, Medina County. Call for supply list. 330-278-4271 or 330-239-2674.
• Gardeners of Greater Akron meeting, Monday evening, St. George Fellowship Centre, 3204 Ridgewood Road, Copley Township. Social hour starts at 5:30, dinner at 6:30. Program: Hydroponic Gardening. Cost: $13. Reservations: 330-336-6269. Information: 330-673-3553 or www.ohiogardeners.org.
• Knitting and Crocheting Circle meeting, 10 a.m. to noon Tuesday, Brunswick Library, 3649 Center Road. Registration: 330-273-4150.
• Warm Up Akron meetings, 3:30 and 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Mogadore Branch Library, 144 S. Cleveland Ave. Members knit and crochet rectangles that are used to make afghans for needy people in the Akron area, and they’ll teach others the skills. 330-699-3252 or http://warmupakron.webs.com.
• So You Want to Start a Community Garden?, 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesday, Akron-Summit County Public Library, 60 S. High St., Akron. Learn about basics and resources available. Presented by Summit Food Policy Coalition’s Neighborfood program, Let’s Grow Akron, Akron Community Foundation and Summit County Master Gardeners. Free. Information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Yarncrafters meetings, 1-3 and 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Medina Library, 210 S. Broadway. Knitting and crocheting group. www.mcdl.info or 330-725-0588.
• Needlework Circle meeting, 6 p.m. Thursdays, Seville Library, North Center Street. 330-769-2852.
• Home furnishings floor sample sale, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Jan. 26, Ohio Design Centre, 23533 Mercantile Road, Beachwood (off Chagrin Boulevard, west of Interstate 271). Six showrooms open. $5 admission, which benefits Cleveland Furniture Bank. 216-831-1245 or www.ohiodesigncentre.com.
• Sustainability Symposium 2013, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Jan. 26, Cleveland Botanical Garden, 11030 East Blvd. Theme: adjusting to climate change and unpredictable weather patterns in Northeast Ohio. Keynote speaker: Scott Sheridan, Kent State University climatology professor. $50 for members, $60 for others. Registration: 216-721-1600, ext. 100, or www.cbgarden.org.
• Annuals and Tropical Plants for Summer Color in Your Landscape and Containers, 10-11:30 a.m. Jan. 26, Graf Growers Garden Center, 1015 White Pond Drive, Copley Township. Speaker: Brian Jorg of Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden. $12. Registration: 330-836-2727, or use the mail-in registration form at www.grafgrowers.com.
• Garden Club of Kent President’s Banquet, 6:30 p.m. Jan. 28, NEOMED Conference and Event Center, 4209 State Route 44, Rootstown Township. Program: awards and remembrances of members. $20; cash bar. Reservations: 330-673-1686.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to email@example.com or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also become a fan on Facebook at http://tinyurl.com/mbbreck, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckenridge and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.