Dayton Nurseries in Norton is offering a series of winter seminars on Saturday mornings, starting next weekend.
• Feb. 1: Troubleshooting in the Landscape & Lawn: Preventing Problems Before They Start by Dayton Nurseries’ Tom Dayton.
• Feb. 8: Gardening With Tropical Plants by Cynthia Drukenbrod of Cleveland Botanical Garden.
• Feb. 15: Sensory Gardening by Michelle Riley of All About You Landscape Design.
• Feb. 22: The Birds, The Bees & Everything in Between by Carol Zeh, Audubon Society member and volunteer with Metro Parks, Serving Summit County.
• March 1: The Miniature World of Fairy Gardening by Jill Manda of Manda’s Plant Farm.
• March 8: Sneak Peek — What’s New for 2014? by Dayton Nurseries’ Karen Martin and Tom Dayton.
Programs start at 11 a.m. Cost is $6 for garden club members and $10 for others. The fee includes a light lunch.
Register at 330-825-3320 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dayton Nurseries is at 3459 Cleveland-Massillon Road, Norton.
Grants for horticulture-related projects, programs or events are available through the Partner Grant Program of the Master Gardeners of Summit County.
Educational, public and other nonprofit organizations in Summit County are invited to apply for grants of up to $1,000. Projects must be garden or horticulture related and must have an educational element.
The grant must be used within 12 months.
Application information is at http://summitmastergardeners.org. Click on the Grants link under the Resources tab. The application deadline is Feb. 22.
For information, contact Geoff Kennedy at email@example.com.
Nominations of projects and individuals are being sought for the Architectural Heritage Awards, a program of the Summit County Historical Society and the Preservation Alliance of Greater Akron.
The awards honor exemplary examples of historic preservation and individuals who have made a significant, positive impact in the area of preservation. Projects must be in Summit County.
Details and a nomination form are at http://summithistory.org. The nomination deadline is 4 p.m. Feb. 14.
• Fiber CAFE (Center for Alternative Fiber Experience), 10 a.m. to noon today, Peninsula Art Academy, 1600 W. Mill St. Share a project or technique or get advice. 330-657-2248.
• NARI Home Improvement Show, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. today and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, I-X Center next to Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. Vendor booths, home-improvement displays, stage presentations, giveaways. Appearances by HGTV’s “Kitchen Cousins” at noon, 1:30 and 3 p.m. today. $14, free for those 16 and younger. $4 discount coupons at Northeast Ohio Sherwin-Williams stores; $2 discount coupons at www.narihomeshow.com. Parking: $8.
• Knitty Gritters Knitting Club meeting, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday, Lake Community Branch of Stark County District Library, 11955 Market Ave. N, Lake Township. 330-877-9975.
• Warm Up Akron meetings, 3:30 and 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Mogadore Branch Library, 144 S. Cleveland Ave. Members knit and crochet rectangles that are used to make afghans for needy people in the Akron area, and they’ll teach others the skills. 330-699-3252 or http://warmupakron.webs.com.
• Sustainability Symposium: Preserve & Protect, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. next Saturday, Cleveland Botanical Garden, 11030 East Blvd. Sessions will focus on preservation efforts in Ohio and offer ideas for participants’ own yards. Members $65, others $80. Fee includes garden admission, parking, box lunch and refreshments. Registration: 216-721-1600, ext. 100, or www.cbgarden.org/symposium.
• Graf Growers programs, 1015 White Pond Drive, Copley Township. Flowering Shrubs for Every Season, 10-11:30 a.m. next Saturday, $12. Winter Potting Workshop, 1-2:30 p.m. next Saturday. Free, but plants must be purchased from Graf’s. Advance registration preferred for both programs, but walk-ins welcome. Mail-in registration forms at www.grafgrowers.com. Information: 330-836-2727.
• Gardening for Romance: Garden Themes for Valentine’s Day, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. next Saturday, Brunswick Library, 3649 Center Road. Presented by the Medina County Master Gardeners. Information on landscape designs to create romantic settings, history and lore of flowers and chocolate-theme gardens. $10 per person or $15 for any two people who register together. Registration deadline is Monday. Details and mail-in registration form in the Events section of http://medina.osu.edu.
• Nature’s Way Brings Birds to Backyards, 11 a.m. next Saturday, Donzell’s Flower & Garden Center, 937 E. Waterloo Road, Akron. Free, but reservations are requested at 330-724-0550, ext. 110. Details in the Events section of http://donzells-gales.com.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or email@example.com. You can also become a fan on Facebook at http://tinyurl.com/mbbreck, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckenridge and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.