Food growers can learn how to extend their season and lower their environmental impact at Ohio State University’s 2014 Greenhouse Management Workshop, Jan. 16 and 17 at the university’s Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center near Wooster.
The workshop is intended for progressive greenhouse growers, greenhouse equipment manufacturers and their technical support staff, and extension service educators. Major topics will include reducing surface water runoff and collecting surface water in ponds and cisterns.
Cost is $150, which includes tour transportation and a continental breakfast and lunch both days.
A workshop flier is at http://go.osu.edu/ZN7.
Prizes including an iPod Nano and a Kindle Fire will be awarded in the Winning the Winter sweepstakes, sponsored by Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning.
A different prize is being awarded each day through Jan. 21.
To enter, visit the company’s Facebook page (www.facebook.com/Service ExpertsHeatingandAir Conditioning) and answer the daily question.
• Glow at the Garden, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. today and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, Cleveland Botanical Gardens, 11030 East Blvd. $12; ages 3-12, $8; members and younger children, free. 216-721-1600 or www.cb garden.org. Garden closed Monday through Thursday of this week.
• Quail Hollow Herb Society meeting, 3 p.m. Sunday, Quail Hollow State Park manor house, 13480 Congress Lake Ave., Lake Township near Hartville. Pot luck lunch and opportunity to learn about herbs and their uses. Free. 330-325-3028.
• The Antique Pickers Back Roads Tour, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Jan. 11, Holiday Inn Express, 231 Park Center Drive, Wadsworth. Buyers will be available to make offers on antiques and vintage items. People with items too large or numerous to bring to the event can request a home visit by calling 217-415-6720.
• Become Your Own Florist, 7-9 p.m. Tuesdays, Jan. 7-Feb. 11, Quirk Cultural Center, 1201 Grant Ave., Cuyahoga Falls. Learn how to make various types of fresh flower arrangements. Residents $137, others $149. Registration: 330-971-8425, 330-971-8225 or www.cityofcf.com/parksandrec.
• ABCs of Growing Vegetables, 7 p.m. Thursday, Eastwood Preserve House, 4712 Streetsboro Road, Richfield Township. Part of a six-session series presented by the Richfield Parks and Recreation Department in conjunction with the Summit County Master Gardeners. $5 per class or $20 for all six. Register at 330-659-5818.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to mbrecken@thebeacon journal.com or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or email@example.com. You can also become a fan on Facebook at http://tinyurl.com/mbbreck, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckenridge and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.