Tickets go on sale Monday for the Sugar Plum Tour, an annual tour of homes decorated for the holidays.
The self-guided tour will be 2 to 5:30 p.m. Dec. 8 and will feature five homes in Akron, Cuyahoga Falls and Bath. Holders of patron tickets will be invited to a private party after the tour at a sixth location.
The tour raises money for the Akron Community Foundation’s Gay Community Endowment Fund. Programs supported by the fund include the 2014 Gay Games, scheduled for Aug. 9-16 in the Cleveland-Akron area.
General admission tickets are $25. Patron tickets are $150 and are limited in quantity.
Both types of tickets will be available at www.sugarplumtour.org or 330-376-8522. General admission tickets can also be purchased for cash only at Angel Falls Coffee Co., 792 W. Market St., Akron.
Free plants for pupils
Plant wholesaler Bonnie Plants is again encouraging third-grade teachers to get their students interested in gardening through the company’s annual Third Grade Cabbage Program.
The program supplies participating third-grade classrooms with free plants that grow into giant cabbages. Teachers distribute the 2-inch plants and instructions to students, who grow the plants at home. At the end of the growing season, class winners are entered into state drawings, which award a $1,000 scholarship in each state.
Teachers can register for the 2014 program at http://bonniecabbageprogram.com.
Photo contest winners
Three winners have been chosen in the Summit Soil and Water Conservation District’s 2013 photography contest.
The contest’s theme, “Taking Root for Clean Water,” was intended to draw attention to the role of trees in storm water management and water quality.
The first-place winner was Scott Christopher of Cuyahoga Falls. His photo of black cherry trees in the Oxbow Area of the Metro Parks, Serving Summit County, will be posted on a billboard in Cuyahoga Falls.
Second place went to Laura Prager of Barberton for a photo of rows of trees planted on a tree farm. The third-place entry, by Mary Lou Jubin of Norton, showed the planting of a shrub using home compost and recycled materials.
Events and programs
• Exploring the Small Farm Dream, 6-9 p.m. Mondays, Nov. 4-25, Church in the Valley, 2241 Everett Road, Boston Township. Four-session course is designed to help people determine whether starting a small farm or agricultural business is the right choice for them. $100 for an individual or $150 for two people working on the same business idea. Registration: www.cvcountryside.org or 330-657-2542, ext. 225.
• Hook & Needle Club meeting, 6 p.m. Tuesday, Buckeye Library, 6625 Wolff Road, York Township, Medina County. All skill levels welcome. 330-725-4415.
• Needlework Circle meeting, 6 p.m. Thursdays, Seville Library, 45 N. Center St. 330-769-2852.
• ’Tis the Season, 7 p.m. Thursday, Brecksville Community Center, 1 Community Drive off state Route 21. Florist Larry Novak will offer holiday decorating tips. Doors open at 6:15. Sponsored by Chippewa Garden Club to raise money for its community service projects. $10 in advance, $12 at the door. Tickets: 440-740-0030 or 440-838-4736.
• Entertaining by Design, noon to 7 p.m. Friday and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. next Saturday, Ohio Design Centre, 23533 Mercantile Road, Beachwood (off Chagrin Boulevard, west of Interstate 271). More than 30 tabletop, dining and entertaining vignettes created by interior designers and displayed throughout the center and its showrooms. $10. Proceeds benefit the communication and education programs of the North Union Farmers Market. 216-831-1245 or www.ohiodesigncentre.com.
• Christkindl Markt, Friday through Nov. 10, Cultural Center for the Arts, Canton Museum of Art, 1001 Market Ave. N. Juried fine arts and crafts show with more than 100 exhibitors. 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. next Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 10. $6 in advance, $7 at the door. Children 12 or younger admitted free. Advance tickets: www.cantonchristkindl.org or 330-453-7666.
• Fall Fairy Gardening Workshop, 10 a.m. next Saturday, Graf Growers Garden Center, 1015 White Pond Drive, Copley Township. Free, but plants and embellishments must be purchased at Graf Growers. Bring a pot or purchase one at Graf’s. Registration: 330-836-2727.
• Family Gingerbread House Workshop, 1-3 p.m. next Saturday, Cleveland Botanical Garden, 11030 East Blvd. Members $45, others $55. Registration: 216-721-1600, ext. 100, or www.cbgarden.org.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to email@example.com or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also become a fan on Facebook at http://tinyurl.com/mbbreck, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckenridge and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.