The Quail Hollow Volunteer Association is inaugurating a holiday event this year, Candlelight Christmas at Quail Hollow.
There will be a dinner at Quail Hollow Manor House, along with entertainment and a tour of the decorated mansion.
The event is being offered at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 22 and 23 and Dec. 7, and 2 p.m. Dec. 8. Cost is $28.50 per person, plus gratuity.
Reservations are required by calling Bill Weaver, 330-933-0124. Menus vary and may be obtained when you make a reservation.
The event raises money for the restoration and upkeep of the historical mansion.
Quail Hollow is at 13480 Congress Lake Ave., Lake Township, near Hartville.
A medicinal garden is the latest addition to the Heritage Garden at the Ohio Governor’s Residence.
The Lloyd Medicinal and Johnny Appleseed Memorial Garden will be dedicated Oct. 23. The garden is named for John Uri Lloyd, an early 20th century pharmacist from Cincinnati, and surrounds a tree descended from one planted by John “Johnny Appleseed” Chapman.
The dedication will be 1:30 to 3 p.m. at the governor’s residence, 358 N. Parkview Ave., Columbus. The event is free, but reservations are required by Wednesday at www.lloydlibrary.org/LMGRSVP.html.
Can’t make the dedication but want to see the garden? Tours of the governor’s residence and Heritage Garden are available most Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m., noon and 1:30 p.m., but you must make a reservation at least a week in advance. Details are at www.governorsresidence.ohio.gov/tours.aspx.
Wendall August to reopen
Good news for fans of Wendall August Forge: The headquarters of the metalcrafting company in Grove City, Pa., is reopening Oct. 29.
The flagship store and workshop were destroyed by a fire in 2010. The new facility houses a store, corporate offices and a workshop that will be open for tours.
Wendall August makes handcrafted metal gifts and jewelry and also has a location in Berlin.
Events and programs
• Guided Bird Walk, 9-11 a.m. today, Seaman Orientation Plaza, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center’s Secrest Arboretum, 1680 Madison Ave., Wooster Township. Free. Dress for the weather.
• Holiday Craft Show, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. today, Cuyahoga Falls Masonic Building, 2307 Sackett Ave. Free admission. Sponsored by Falls Chapter 245, Order of the Eastern Star.
• Pumpkin Walk and Hayride, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. today, Graf Growers Garden Center, 1015 White Pond Drive, Copley Township. Family activities. Children, $6; adults, $3. Food available. 330-836-2727 or www.grafgrowers.com.
• Spooky Science, 4:30-8:30 p.m. today and Oct. 18 and 19, Beech Creek Botanical Garden & Nature Preserve, 11929 Beech St. NE, Washington Township, Stark County. Fun, family-friendly education about the natural world. Members $4, others $6, 2 and younger free. www.beechcreekgardens.org or 330-829-7050.
• Cleveland Botanical Garden events, 11030 East Blvd. Western Reserve Herb Society Herb Fair, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. today. Ask the Gardener, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today. S-HORT Course: Fall Gardening Tips, 11 a.m. to noon Oct 19 (members $10, others $20, registration required). Garden Book Club meeting, 2 p.m. Oct. 19. Garden admission: $9.50; children ages 3-12, $4; members and younger children, free. 216-721-1600 or www.cbgarden.org.
• House tour, 1-4 p.m. Sunday, 2130 Market Ave. N., Canton. Self-guided tour of Hidden Pines. $10. 330-452-9341.
• Knitting and Crocheting Circle meeting, 10 a.m. to noon Tuesday, Brunswick Library, 3649 Center Road. Registration: 330-273-4150.
• Winterizing Your Pond, 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Water X Scapes, 1021 E. Caston Road, Green. Free. Reservations: 330-896-9811. Information: http://waterxscapes.com/seminars.
• Adult Make ’N’ Take: Bath Salts, Tuesday through Thursday, Highland Library, 4160 Ridge Road, Granger Township, Medina County. Project offered during library hours while supplies last. www.mcdl.info, 330-278-4271 or 330-239-2674.
• Yarncrafters meetings, 1-3 and 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Medina Library, 210 S. Broadway. Knitting and crocheting group. www.mcdl.info or 330-725-0588.
• Needlework Circle meeting, 6 p.m. Thursdays, Seville Library, North Center Street. 330-769-2852.
• Toxic Awareness, 7 p.m. Thursday, Buckeye Library, 6625 Wolff Road, York Township, Medina County. Wellness educator Joy Wright will talk about the health effects of household products. Free. Registration: www.mcdl.info or 330-725-4415.
• Hook & Needle Club meeting, 10:30 a.m. Friday, Buckeye Library, 6625 Wolff Road, York Township, Medina County. All skill levels welcome. Registration: 330-725-4415.
• Terrarium Workshop, 10 a.m. Oct. 19, Graf Growers Garden Center, 1015 White Pond Drive, Copley Township. $10. Bring a container from home or buy one. Stones, gravel, plants and accessories must be purchased at Graf’s. Registration: 330-836-2727.
• Community Shred Day, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 19, Achievement Center, 4691 Windfall Road, Granger Township, Medina County. Free document shredding offered by the Medina County Board of Developmental Disabilities and Gateway Records Management.
• Glass Fusion Workshop, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 19, Highland Library, 4160 Ridge Road, Granger Township, Medina County. Create a pendant. $5. Registration: www.mcdl.info, 330-278-4271 or 330-239-2674.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or email@example.com. You can also become a fan on Facebook at http://tinyurl.com/mbbreck, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckenridge and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.