A Willoughby company is giving away a $50,000 kitchen renovation to someone in Northeast Ohio.
Firenza Stone, which fabricates and installs granite, marble and engineered stone countertops, is sponsoring the Fall Kitchen Frenzy Contest.
To enter, “like” the Firenza Stone Facebook page at www.facebook.com/FirenzaStone, and then upload a photo of your current kitchen and a short explanation (60 words or fewer) of why you deserve a dream kitchen. The 10 photos that receive the most Facebook likes will become the 10 finalists.
The winner will be chosen at random from the finalists and announced on WMJI (105.7-FM) on Nov. 15.
The contest is open to people who live within 50 miles of Firenza Stone’s showroom at 37033 Vine St., Willoughby.
Paper drive underway
You can help your neighborhood school win prizes by contributing recyclable paper during a mixed-paper drive through Nov. 15.
The 32 participating schools are accepting magazines, phone books, paperboard, catalogs, junk mail, office paper, newspaper and cardboard.
Collection bins are at Helen Arnold, Betty Jane, Forest Hill, Glover, David Hill, Leggett, Judith Resnik, McEbright, Sam Salem, Voris, Findley, Hyre, Innes, Mason and East 7-8 community learning centers; Case, Firestone Park and Seiberling elementary schools; Litchfield Middle School; Miller South School of the Visual & Performing Arts; Kenmore, North, Ellet, Buchtel and Hoban high schools; Chapel Hill Christian School; Discovery Montessori School; Imagine School; Old Trail School; Our Lady of the Elms; St. Mary School; and Edge Academy.
The local competition is sponsored by Keep Akron Beautiful in conjunction with River Valley Paper Co. The schools are competing for prizes at the local and national levels.
Cancer patient help
You can nominate a breast cancer patient to win a year’s worth of monthly housecleaning services from Jo Ann’s Home Solutions in Akron.
To be eligible, patients must be undergoing treatment currently.
The company will award 12 cleanings to one winner. In addition, all nominees will receive four free cleanings.
Send nominations of 1,000 words or fewer to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the nominee’s name and contact information, along with yours.
Nominees must also register with the Cleaning for a Reason Foundation (www.cleaningforareason.org). There are no financial qualifications.
All nominations will be submitted to an advisory board Nov. 15. The winner will be selected Dec. 1.
Events and programs
• Norton Women’s Club Craft & Gift Show, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. today, Norton Middle School, 3390 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road. Jewelry, crafts, art, quilt raffle, bake sale, food trucks. Admission: one can of food for a local food bank.
• Knitting and Crocheting Circle, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. today, Highland Library, 4160 Ridge Road, Granger Township, Medina County. Learn the basics. Call for supply list. 330-278-4271 or 330-239-2674.
• Cleveland Botanical Garden events, 11030 East Blvd. Eleanor Squire Library Fall Book Sale, including books from designer Viktor Schreckengost’s personal library, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. today and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. S-HORT Course: Bulb Container Planting, 10:30 a.m. to noon Nov. 2 (members $25, others $40, registration required). Women Floral Painters, 2-3 p.m. Nov. 2 (members $5, others $12, registration required). Garden admission: $9.50; children ages 3-12, $4; members and younger children, free. 216-721-1600 or www.cbgarden.org.
• Knitting and Crocheting Circle, 10 a.m. to noon Tuesday, Brunswick Library, 3649 Center Road. Share knitting and crocheting tips. Beginners welcome. 330-273-4150.
• Yarncrafters meetings, 1-3 and 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Medina Library, 210 S. Broadway. Knitting and crocheting group. www.mcdl.info or 330-725-0588.
• Needlework Circle meeting, 6 p.m. Thursdays, Seville Library, 45 N. Center St. 330-769-2852.
• Hook & Needle Club meeting, 10:30 a.m. Friday, Buckeye Library, 6625 Wolff Road, York Township, Medina County. All skill levels welcome. 330-725-4415.
• Tablescapes 2013, 10:30 a.m. Nov. 2, Shady Hollow Country Club, 4865 Wales Ave. NW, Jackson Township, Stark County. Tables decorated by interior designers, lunch, live and silent auctions, Purse Parade. $35. Reservations: 330-224-7551 or email@example.com. Sponsored by the Interior Design Society of Northeast Ohio. Event benefits the Golden Key Center for Exceptional Children.
• Exploring the Small Farm Dream, 6-9 p.m. Mondays, Nov. 4-25, Church in the Valley, 2241 Everett Road, Boston Township. Four-session course is designed to help people determine whether starting a small farm or agricultural business is the right choice for them. $100 for an individual or $150 for two people working on the same business idea. Registration: www.cvcountryside.org or 330-657-2542, ext. 225.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or email@example.com. You can also become a fan on Facebook at http://tinyurl.com/mbbreck, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckenridge and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.