Tickets are now on sale for the eighth annual Vino Italia: A Taste of Italy, the kickoff event for the Italian-American Festival in downtown Akron.
Vino Italia will be 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. July 10 at the Akron Civic Theatre, 182 S. Main St., Akron.
This year’s event will feature wine from Gruppo Mezzacorona and Prestige Wine Imports. There also will be food samples from local restaurants, door prizes, and live music.
Tickets are $65 and can be purchased at Civic Theatre box office, by calling 330-253-2488, online at www.akroncivic.com or Ticketmaster.com.
Proceeds benefit the Council of Italian-American Scholarships and the Arc of Summit and Portage Counties.
Comings and goings
The long-awaited, much-anticipated Cellar 59 wine bar has finally opened in Stow, at 3984 Kent Road.
Located in a renovated farm house, the business includes a retail wine shop and a bar where they sell wine by the glass and craft beers. There is a small menu of appetizers and dessert selections. Hours are 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to midnight Friday and Saturday. They are available for private events Sunday and Monday. Phone 330-688-2684 or visit www.cellar59wine.com.
• Grille 39, 3939 Massillon Road, Green, has closed.
On the website, owner Joseph Cernava says the closing is temporary due to relocation. No reopening date is provided. Will have to keep checking on this one. Grille 39 opened in 2009.
• Jan Walther of Walthers Cafe is opening a new Pita Pit franchise at 1102 N. Main St., North Canton. The shop is expected to open this week. Other Pita Pit locations are in downtown Akron, Kent and Fairlawn.
Dry cottage cheese found
Since writing last week about how difficult it can be to find dry curd cottage cheese, folks have alerted me to more local places for buying it.
• The Pierogi Lady, at Hartville Marketplace, 1289 Edison Place NW, Hartville, sells it for $4.50 per pound. The shop is open Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., phone 330-690-2129.
• Pierogi’s of Cleveland sells it for $6 per pound at its Richfield store, 4131 W. Streetsboro Road, Richfield. The shop is open Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., phone, 330-608-0683.
• LVIV International Food Store, 5689 State Road, Parma, has it for $4.69 per pound. The shop is open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. weekdays and Saturdays, phone 440-887-1199.