Follow this checklist and grill maintenance will never be a big job:
• Preheat the grill on high every time you use it.
• After preheating, use crumpled foil to loosen and clean away any gray ash or leftover residue on the cooking grates.
• After removing the food from the cooking grate, turn burners back to high and burn off any stuck-on food for 10 to 15 minutes.
• After each use, use a brass-bristle grill brush or crumpled foil to loosen and clean residue on the cooking grate.
• Remove accumulated ashes from charcoal grills frequently.
• Clean both the inner and the outer drip pan of a gas grill frequently.
• Once a year, clean the inside of the grill with warm, soapy water.
— Elizabeth Karmel