For people suffering from lactose or gluten sensitivity, holiday mealtimes can be a hassle. Here are some tips and tricks to hosting an allergy-free holiday.
• Check to make sure that the turkey or ham is gluten free, as certain brands are processed with gluten or glazed with a flour-based sauce.
• Thicken gravy with cornstarch.
• Certain aged cheeses are lactose free, as the aging process strips the cheese of lactose. Stick to Parmesan, Swiss and sharp cheddar rather than fresh cheeses, like cream cheese, or soft cheeses, such as Brie.
• Rather than putting out crackers and dips for appetizers, use tortilla chips and salsa. Just make sure to check that any salsas or dips are gluten- and lactose-free as well.
• Purchase a gluten-free pie shell to make dessert.
— Emma Kantrowitz