Festival president Dennis Harrigan offers these tips for storing and using garlic:
• Buy garlic heads with firm cloves and store them in a spot with good air circulation. They should keep for up to four months.
• If purchasing fresh peeled garlic, refrigerate it in an airtight container. If garlic is stored in oil, it must be refrigerated.
• The more you mash and mince garlic, the stronger the flavor.
• Be careful not to overcook garlic. Once burned it will be bitter.
• Fresh garlic is very pungent. To temper the flavor, roast garlic at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes, or simmer it in oil for 30 to 35 minutes. The result will be sweet, mild garlic and garlic-infused oil which should be refrigerated for storage.