A new event for fiber enthusiasts is coming to Aurora’s Bertram Inn & Conference Center.
The event, called the Fiber Art Marketplace, will be 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. May 2 and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 3 at the inn, 600 N. Aurora Road. It will feature lectures, trunk shows and vendors from across the country, offering goods for sewers, quilters, crafters and other fiber artists.
Admission is $7 for both days. Group rates are available for 24 or more.
Tickets are available in advance at Sew Déjà Vu, 1608 Norton Road, Stow; Quilter’s Source, 6683 State Road, Parma; and Angelics, 3095 Cleveland Ave. SW, Canton.
Details are at www.sewdejavu.com.
In observance of Earth Day, Donzell’s Flower & Garden Center will collect plastic pots, trays and inserts next week for recycling.
Signs pointing to the drop-off location will be posted in the parking lot.
The recycling program runs from Monday through April 27.
Donzell’s is at 937 E. Waterloo Road, Akron.
• Beginning Weaving, 2-4:30 p.m. Saturdays or by arrangement, Peninsula Art Academy, 1600 W. Mill St. $32 per class ($30 for PAA members) plus an initial $20 materials fee. Registration: 330-657-2681 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Knitting and Crocheting Circle meetings, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. today and next Saturday, Highland Library, 4160 Ridge Road, Granger Township, Medina County (330-278-4271 or 330-239-2674); 1-3 and 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Medina Library, 210 S. Broadway (330-725-0588); and 6 p.m. Thursday, Seville Library, 45 N. Center St. (330-769-2852).
• Knitty Gritters knitting club meeting, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday, Lake Community Branch of Stark County District Library, 11955 Market Ave. N, Lake Township. 330-877-9975.
• Gardeners of Greater Akron meeting, Monday evening, St. George Fellowship Centre, 3204 Ridgewood Road, Copley Township. Social hour starts at 5:30, dinner at 6:30. Program: historical gardens in the Akron area. $13. Reservations: 330-336-6269. Information: 330-673-3553 or www.ohiogardeners.org.
• Cardmaking, 6 p.m. Monday, Brunswick Library, 3649 Center Road. Create 10 cards. $10. Bring adhesive. Register at the library or at www.mcdl.info/events.
• Scarlet, Gray, and Green Fair, 11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, 1680 Madison Ave., Wooster Township. Exhibits, food, demonstrations, opportunity to recycle various household items. www.wcsen.org/wcsggf.
• Preservation workshop, 2 p.m. Tuesday, McKinley Presidential Library & Museum, 800 McKinley Monument Drive NW, Canton. Program on preserving letters and photographs. $10. Registration: 330-455-7043.
• Warm Up Akron meetings, 3:30 and 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Mogadore Branch Library, 144 S. Cleveland Ave. Members knit and crochet rectangles that are used to make afghans for needy people in the Akron area, and they’ll teach others the skills. 330-699-3252 or http://warmupakron.webs.com.
• Guided Spring Walk, 2-3 p.m. Wednesday, Secrest Arboretum, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, 1680 Madison Ave., Wooster Township. Walk led by arboretum plant experts, focused on signs of spring. Free. 330-464-2148 or email@example.com.
• Pond Planning, Design & Construction, 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, Water X Scapes, 1021 E. Caston Road, Green. Free, but reservations are requested at 330-896-9811.
• Succulent Wreath Planting Workshop, 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, Graf Growers Garden Center, 1015 White Pond Drive, Copley Township. Potting soil provided; wreath forms and plants must be purchased at Graf’s. Reservations: 330-836-2727 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Bead Break, 6 p.m. Wednesday, Seville Library, 45 N. Center St. Learn beading basics, show off your creations and swap leftover beads. Register at the library or at www.mcdl.info/events.
• Antiques Extravaganza!, 6 p.m. Wednesday, Brunswick Library, 3649 Center Road. Learn about antiques and have one of your own evaluated by expert Jane Langol. Free. Register at the library or at www.mcdl.info/events.
• Beyond Beauty: Invasive Ornamentals, 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Brushwood Pavilion, Furnace Run Metro Park, 4955 Townsend Road, Richfield Township. Program by Danae Wolfe, Ohio State University extension educator. $10. Details and mail-in registration form at http://summit.osu.edu/topics/horticulture/green-garden-seminar-series. Information: email@example.com or 330-928-4769, ext. 17.
• Starting Your Own Vegetable Garden, 7-9 p.m. Thursday, Church in the Valley, 2241 Everett Road, Boston Township near Peninsula. $30. Sponsored by the Countryside Conservancy. Registration: www.cvcountryside.org.
• Fiber CAFE (Center for Alternative Fiber Experience), 10 a.m. to noon next Saturday, Peninsula Art Academy, 1600 W. Mill St. Share a project or technique or get advice. 330-657-2248.
• Native Plant Sale and Gardening Seminars, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. next Saturday and 1-4 p.m. April 27, the Wilderness Center, 9877 Alabama Ave. SW, Sugar Creek Township near Wilmot (for GPS directions, use Navarre). Plant sale both days; seminars on Saturday only ($5 each). Plant catalog and class schedule at www.wildernesscenter.org. Register for seminars online or at 877-359-5235.
• Big Spring, through April 27, Cleveland Botanical Garden, 11030 East Blvd. Children’s activities, spring blooms on display, butterfly release at 2 p.m. daily. Book signing from noon to 2 p.m. next Saturday by Renata Fossen Brown, author of Gardening Lab for Kids: 52 Fun Experiments to Learn, Grow, Harvest, Make, Play, and Enjoy Your Garden. Big Spring hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and both Saturdays; 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday; noon to 5 p.m. both Sundays. Closed Monday. $12; children ages 3-12, $8; members and younger children, free. 216-721-1600 or www.cbgarden.org.
• Preservation Alliance of Greater Akron meeting, 7 p.m. April 28, Conrad C. Ott Staff Development Center, 65 Steiner Ave., Akron. Architectural historian Petra Knapp will speak on Akron’s historical school buildings. Free. Optional dinner at 5 p.m. at Nuevo, 54 E. Mill St. $17.50. Paid reservations for dinner required by 5 p.m. Thursday. Register at www.eventbrite.com or write a check to Preservation Alliance of Greater Akron and mail it to Preservation House, 2074 W. Market St., Akron, OH 44313. Information: www.preservationakron.org.
• Tree School, 8:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. May 3, Founder’s Auditorium in Ovalwood Hall, Ohio State University Mansfield Campus, 1760 University Drive. Educational sessions on a variety of tree-related topics. $55. Registration deadline is Friday. Details and online registration at http://woodlandstewards.osu.edu, or call 614-688-3421.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or email@example.com. You can also become a fan on Facebook at http://tinyurl.com/mbbreck, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckABJ and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.