Farnam Manor, a historical home in Richfield, will be the site starting Friday of a holiday celebration called The Spirit of Christmas Past.
Participants will be treated as holiday guests of the Farnam family in 1863, enjoying a 19th-century dinner, music and games. Historical re-enactors will portray members of the family of Everett Farnam, the largest landowner in Summit County at the time.
The event is offered from 6 to 9 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays and 4 to 7 p.m. Sundays through Dec. 29 at Farnam Manor, 4223 Brecksville Road. Tickets are $60, or $30 for children 12 and younger.
The event is presented by the Ohio Living History Society. For reservations, visit www.olhs.org or call 234-200-6547.
Local gift buying
Looking to shop local this holiday season? In addition to the many small businesses in downtown Akron that sell gifts, these events offer shopping opportunities:
• Downtown Artwalk, 5 to 10 p.m. today. Galleries and studios will be open in the Northside District, on North High Street and on Market Street. The event also includes entertainment and free trolley service.
• ArtsyMart, noon to 10 p.m. today and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday at Summit Artspace, 140 E. Market St. Local vendors will sell handmade works of art.
• Holiday Market at Lock 3, open 1 a.m. to 9 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sundays until Dec. 22, as well as 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Christmas Eve and 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. New Year’s Eve. Handmade gifts and products from Germany and Akron are offered for sale.
Rug Doctor is on call
Carpet spots? Don’t panic. The Rug Doctor Holiday Hotline is open for business.
The answer line is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily through Feb. 1 at 800-RUG DOCTOR (800-784-3628).
You can also chat with a company representative in the support section of the company’s website, http://rugdoctor.com.
Events and programs
• Old-Fashioned Christmas Party, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. today, Lehman’s, 4779 Kidron Road, Kidron area of Sugar Creek Township, Wayne County (for GPS directions, use Dalton). Music, children’s activities, ice sculpting, crafts. 877-438-5346 or www.lehmans.com.
• E.J. Thomas Christmas Arts & Crafts Show, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. today and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, E.J. Thomas Hall, 198 Hill St., Akron. More than 100 artists and craftspeople. $4.50; seniors 62 and older, $4; children 12 and younger, free.
• Holiday events, Donzell’s Flower & Garden Center, 937 E. Waterloo Road, Akron. Children’s Holly Days, noon to 4 p.m. today and Sunday; children’s crafts, cocoa and cookies, visits with Santa (photos $8). Pets Visit Santa, noon to 4 p.m. Dec. 14; bring a pet for a picture with Santa ($8). 330-724-0505 or www.donzells.com.
• Winter Barn Sale, today, Thursday, Friday and next Saturday, Portage Trail Barn, 151 Portage Trail Extension W, Cuyahoga Falls. Handmade and repurposed items for the home and family. Hours: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. today, Friday and next Saturday; 3-8 p.m. Thursday. www.PortageTrailBarn.com.
• Holiday Home Tour, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, Medina area. Tour of seven homes decorated for the holidays. Sponsored by the Medina Community Design Committee. $20. Tickets and tour guides available starting at 11:45 a.m. at the church, 217 E. Liberty St., Medina; Boyert’s Greenhouse, 7171 Wooster Pike, Montville Township; and the Munson House, 141 S. Prospect St., Medina. Information: 330-722-5020 or cdcHomeTour@gmail.com.
• Christmas Tour, 1-4 p.m. Sunday, Barber/Whitticar House, 519 Cleveland Ave. SW, Canton. Tour a restored 1904 house that has been decorated for the holidays. $13. Presented by the Canton Preservation Society. http://cantonpreservation.com.
• Sugar Plum Tour, 2-5:30 p.m. Sunday, starting at Angel Falls Coffee Co., 792 W. Market St., Akron. Self-guided tour of five homes decorated for the holidays. $25. Tour benefits the Akron Community Foundation’s Gay Community Endowment Fund.
• Needlework Circle meeting, 6 p.m. Thursdays, Seville Library, 45 N. Center St. 330-769-2852.
• Guided Bird Walk, 9-11 a.m. Dec. 14, Secrest Arboretum, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, 1680 Madison Ave., Wooster Township. Free. email@example.com or 330-464-2148.
• Deck the Hall: Heaven & Nature Sing, through Dec. 30, Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens, 714 N. Portage Path, Akron. Decorated manor house and grounds, computerized light show set to music, entertainment, gift shop, snacks. Open 5-8 p.m. today, Sunday, Tuesday through Friday and Dec. 14-15, 17-23 and 26-30. Members: $13.50 for adults, $5.50 for youth; others: $17 for adults, $7 for youth. Children 5 and younger admitted free. Tickets available at the door or in advance at 330-315-3287 or www.stanhywet.org.
• Glow at the Garden, through Jan. 5, Cleveland Botanical Garden, 11030 East Blvd. Holiday celebration includes Garden Express train rides, musical performances, gingerbread house display, holiday plants and decorations. Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays; 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays; noon to 5 p.m. Sundays. $12; ages 3-12, $8; members and younger children, free. 216-721-1600 or www.cbgarden.org.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or email@example.com. You can also become a fan on Facebook at http://tinyurl.com/mbbreck, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckenridge and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.