You can dig deeply into gardening during next month’s Saturday Gardening Series, organized by the Master Gardeners of Summit County.
The two-Saturday series will cover a range of gardening topics, including herb, vegetable and succulent gardening; conifers; the importance of native plants; and garden and insect photography.
The sessions are from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. March 1 and 8 at Messiah Lutheran Church, 4700 S. Main St., Akron. Cost is $37.50 for one day or $60 for both.
A continental breakfast and box lunch are included each day.
Registration deadline is Feb. 21. Details and online registration are at www. summitmastergardeners.org.
Experienced beekeepers and newcomers alike can benefit from the annual Spring Beekeeping Workshop, Feb. 28 and March 1 at the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center near Wooster.
The workshop, sponsored by the Tri-County Beekeepers Association, offers seminars, contests and activities, as well as sessions for children.
Cost is $30 for members and $35 for others. Youth 17 and younger pay $5.
Optional lunches are extra.
Details and online registration are at www.TriCountyBeekeepers.org, or call 330-801-1309 for more information.
Registration deadline is Feb. 15.
Updates to seminar list
If you’re planning to attend one of the winter seminars at Donzell’s Flower and Garden Center, take note: A list of programs published in the Jan. 18 home section contained an error and an omission. Donzell’s provided incorrect information.
A program titled Bonsai Basics & Beyond was left off the list. It will be offered at 11 a.m. March 22.
Vegetable Gardening Basics will be presented at 11 a.m. March 29. The date we published originally was wrong.
Details are in the Events section of http://donzells- gales.com.
Events and programs
• Guided Bird Walk, 9-11 a.m. today, Secrest Arboretum, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, 1680 Madison Ave., Wooster Township. Meet at Seaman Orientation Plaza. Free. 330-464-2148 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Great Big Home + Garden Show, today through Feb. 16, I-X Center next to Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. Exhibits, two model homes, indoor gardens, stage programs. Celebrity appearances: Ahmed Hassan of HGTV’s Yard Crashers and Turf War, today and Sunday; Emily Ellyn of Food Network’s Next Food Network Star and Cupcake Wars, today and Sunday; Frank Fritz of History Channel’s American Pickers, next Saturday. Show hours: 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sundays, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. weekdays. Tickets: $14; children 6-12, $5; younger children, free. Seniors pay $10 with ID Monday through Thursday only. Discounts adult tickets at Discount Drug Mart stores, AAA locations and www.greatbighomeandgarden.com. Parking $8.
• Make Your Own All Natural Bathroom Cleaners, 2-3 p.m. Sunday, Best Bib and Tucker, 127 Mill St., Hartville. $15. Registration: 330-877-3308 or www.shopbest bibandtucker.com.
• Warm Up Akron meetings, 3:30 and 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Mogadore Branch Library, 144 S. Cleveland Ave. Members knit and crochet rectangles that are used to make afghans for needy people in the Akron area, and they’ll teach others the skills. 330-699-3252 or http://warmupakron.webs.com.
• Twinsburg Garden Club meeting, 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Twinsburg Senior Center, 10075 Ravenna Road. Joyce Pelz of the Akron Audubon Society will give a presentation on attracting and identifying birds. 330-348-6488, 330-697-7818 or www.twinsburg- garden-club.com.
• Seed Starting 101, 7 p.m. Thursday, Eastwood Preserve House, 4712 Streetsboro Road, Richfield Township. Presented by the Richfield Parks and Recreation Department in conjunction with the Summit County Master Gardeners. $5. Registration: 330-659-5818.
• Cool Perennials for Trouble Spaces and Color Spots, 10-11:30 a.m. next Saturday, Graf Growers Garden Center, 1015 White Pond Drive, Copley Township. Program by Graf’s Laura Kaufman. $12. Advance registration preferred, but walk-ins welcome. Mail-in registration forms at www.grafgrowers.com. Information: 330-836-2727.
• Purple Martins Majesty, 11 a.m. next Saturday, Donzell’s Flower & Garden Center, 937 E. Waterloo Road, Akron. Program by Larry Hunter of the Portage Lakes Purple Martin Society. Free, but reservations are requested at 330-724-0550, ext. 110. Details in the Events section of http://donzells-gales.com.
• Sensory Gardening, 11 a.m. next Saturday, Dayton Nurseries, 3459 Cleveland-Massillon Road, Norton. Program by Michelle Riley of All About You Landscape Design. $6 for garden club members, $10 for others. Registration: 330-825-3320 or email@example.com.
• Beech Creek Garden Symposium, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. next Saturday, R.G. Drage Career Center, 2800 Richville Drive SE, Massillon. Sessions on garden-related topics; keynote speech by Jim McCormac of the Ohio Division of Wildlife on supporting the environment with native plants. $37 for Beech Creek members, $47 for others. Optional fragrance workshop, $12. Lunch, $8. Registration deadline is Monday; $5 late fee after that date. Brochure with mail-in reservation form at www.beechcreekgardens.org. 330-829-7050.
• Orchid Mania, through March 9, Cleveland Botanical Garden, 11030 East Blvd. Thousands of orchids on display, orchid information, room vignettes inspired by or accented with orchids. Ask the Orchid Doctor, 1-2 p.m. each Saturday. Orchid Watercolor Pencil Workshop, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday (members $20, others $30, advance registration required). Meet the Designers, 6 p.m. each Wednesday. Greater Cleveland Orchid Society Show & Sale, next weekend. Orchid Mania hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays; 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesdays; noon to 5 p.m. Sundays. Admission: $11; children ages 3-12, $6; members and younger children, free. 216-721-1600 or www.cbgarden.org.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or email@example.com. You can also become a fan on Facebook at http://tinyurl.com/mbbreck, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckABJ and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.