Recycled garden art, invasive plants and native ferns are among the topics planned for the Summit County Master Gardeners’ 2013 Saturday Gardening Series on March 2 and 9 at Messiah Lutheran Church, 4700 S. Main St., Akron.
Sessions run from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. both days. Registration starts at 8:30 a.m.
Speakers on March 2 are Danae Wolfe of the Ohio State University Extension, speaking on invasive plants; Rudy Moyer of Cleveland Crops on interesting vegetables to grow; Carl Chuey of Youngstown State University on native ferns; and Master Gardeners L.J. Dalton and Lora Avens on tabletop landscapes.
March 9 speakers are Master Gardener Jeanne Poremski on superplants; Lisa Abraham, Beacon Journal food writer, on preparing foods from farmers markets; clematis expert Deborah Hardwick on clematis myths and trends; and Noelle Akin on Petitti’s Garden Center on upcycling items as garden art.
Cost for the series is $60. The series may be shared, but only one person may attend any session.
Advance registration is required. Deadline is Feb. 22.
The Tri-County Beekeepers Association is holding its 35th annual Spring Beekeeping Workshop on March 1 and 2 at the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center in Wooster Township.
Keynote speaker will be Jennifer Berry of the University of Georgia, who will talk on the topic Practical Natural Beekeeping. Breakout sessions are planned on a variety of topics, including a basic beekeeping session and a children’s program.
Cost is $35, $30 for members, $5 for youth. Lunches are extra.
No walk-in registrations will be accepted.
Details and an online registration form are at www.TriCountyBeekeepers.org. Information is also available at 330-801-1309 or email@example.com, or by writing to Tri-County Beekeepers Association Inc., P.O. Box 1212, Wooster, OH 44691.
Best of Houzz honors
The Medina County design and remodeling center Architectural Justice has received Best of Houzz honors from the home-design website Houzz (www.houzz.com).
The company won for customer satisfaction and design. The customer satisfaction honor was based on factors including the number and quality of client reviews. The design award was based on the popularity of Architectural Justice’s designs among Houzz users.
Architectural Justice is at 2462 Pearl Road, Brunswick Hills Township. Its website is www.architecturaljustice.com.
• Guided Bird Walk, 9-11 a.m. today, starting at Seaman Orientation Plaza, Secrest Arboretum, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, 1680 Madison Ave., Wooster Township. Free. 330-464-2148 or http://secrest.osu.edu.
• ZeroLandfill Akron, 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays in February, 21 W. North St. Materials samples distributed free to artists and art educators for use in their work. Donations of samples accepted today; materials distributed today, Feb. 16 and Feb. 23. www.facebook.com/ZeroLandfillAkron.
• Great Big Home + Garden Show, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. today and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, I-X Center, off state Route 237 next to Cleveland Hopkins Airport. Displays, seminars, Idea Home, Dream Basement, 17 indoor gardens and celebrity designer rooms. Appearances by Chris Crary of Bravo’s Top Chef, 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. today, and Matt Fish of Melt Bar and Grilled, 2 p.m. today and 1 p.m. Sunday. Plant sale, 6:30 p.m. Sunday. Show admission: $14; children 6-12, $5; younger children, free. Discount tickets available at Home Depot stores, AAA locations and www.greatbighomeandgarden.com. Parking $8.
• Cleveland Botanical Garden events, 11030 East Blvd. Orchid Mania, through March 10. Ask the Orchid Doctor, 1-3 p.m. today. $9.50; children ages 3-12, $4; members and younger children, free. 216-721-1600 or www.cbgarden.org.
• Mardi Gras Masks, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, Highland Library, 4160 Ridge Road, Granger Township, Medina County. Youth ages 11 to 18 will decorate masks for Mardi Gras while supplies last. Free. www.mcdl.info, 330-278-4271 or 330-239-2674.
• Warm Up Akron meetings, 3:30 and 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Mogadore Branch Library, 144 S. Cleveland Ave. Members knit and crochet rectangles that are used to make afghans for needy people in the Akron area, and they’ll teach others the skills. 330-699-3252 or http://warmupakron.webs.com.
• Needlework Circle meeting, 6 p.m. Thursdays, Seville Library, North Center Street. 330-769-2852.
• New Ideas for Creating a Colorful Shade Garden, 10-11:30 a.m. Feb. 16, Graf Growers Garden Center, 1015 White Pond Drive, Copley Township. Speaker: Lisa Graf of Graf Growers. $12. Registration: 330-836-2727, or use the mail-in form at www.grafgrowers.com.
• It Starts With a Tiny Seed, 11 a.m. Feb. 16, Donzell’s Flower & Garden Center, 937 E. Waterloo Road, Akron. Speaker: Dan Dubnicka of Donzell’s. Free. Registration: 330-724-0550, ext. 110.
• Hummingbirds, 11 a.m. Feb. 16, Dayton Nurseries, 3459 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road, Norton. Speaker: Carol Zeh, Metro Parks volunteer. Garden club members, $6; others, $10. Seating is limited. Advance payment is requested, but participants may pay at the door. Registration: 330-825-3320 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or fill out the form at www.daytonnursery.com.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to email@example.com or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also become a fan on Facebook at http://tinyurl.com/mbbreck, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckenridge and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.