The seed catalogs are arriving. It’s time to start dreaming about the next growing season.
Saturday-morning gardening series at Donzell’s and Graf Growers garden centers can help you get prepared. Here are the details.
Eight gardening programs are planned for Donzell’s Winter Seminar Series. Topics are:
• Bring Birds to Your Yard, Feb. 2, presented by Joyce Pelz of the Akron Audubon Society.
• Growing Orchids in Your Home, Feb. 9, presented by the Akron Orchid Society.
• It Starts With a Tiny Seed, Feb. 16, presented by Dan Dubnicka of Donzell’s.
• Think Spring!, Feb. 23, presented by Vanessa Moyer of Donzell’s.
• Bonsai Basics & Beyond, March 9, presented by Dale Cochoy of the Akron Bonsai Society.
• Oh Deer!, March 16, presented by Carol Zeh, caretaker to a domesticated deer named Dillie.
• Herbs for Health & Beauty, March 23, presented by Barb Oare of Quail Hollow Herb Society.
• Vegetable Gardening Basics, March 30, presented by Lee Paulson, master gardener.
The seminars start at 11 a.m. They’re free, but reservations are requested at 330-724-0550, ext. 110.
Donzell’s is at 937 E. Waterloo Road, Akron.
Graf Growers series
Graf Growers has six seminars on the schedule for its Winter Gardening Seminar Series. The lineup is:
• New Plants for the Garden, Jan. 19, presented by Keith Manbeck of Willoway Nurseries.
• Annuals and Tropical Plants for Summer Color in Your Landscape and Containers, Jan. 26, presented by Brian Jorg of Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden.
• Deer Resistant Gardening, Feb. 2, presented by Joyce Braun, master gardener.
• Creating a Perennial Garden With Perpetual Interest, Feb. 9, presented by Laura Deeter of Ohio State University’s Agricultural Technical Institute.
• New Ideas for Creating a Colorful Shade Garden, Feb. 16, presented by Lisa Graf of Graf Growers.
• Ideas and Inspiration for Improving Your Landscape, Feb. 23, presented by Craig Graf of Graf Growers.
The seminars are from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at Graf Growers, 1015 White Pond Drive, Copley Township.
The Feb. 23 program is free. All others are $12 each.
Advance registration is requested, but walk-ins are welcome if seating is available.
For information, call 330-836-2727.
• Knitting and Crocheting Circle, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. today and Jan. 19, Highland Library, 4160 Ridge Road, Granger Township, Medina County. Call for supply list. 330-278-4271 or 330-239-2674.
• Cleveland Botanical Garden events, 11030 East Blvd. Recycled Bird Feeders, 1-3 p.m. today and Jan. 19; families will use recycled materials to make bird feeders (free with garden admission; no reservation required). Garden Book Club meeting, 2 p.m. Jan. 19; reservation required at 216-707-2812. Garden admission: $9.50; children ages 3-12, $4; members and younger children, free. 216-721-1600 or www.cbgarden.org.
• Quail Hollow Herb Society meeting, 2 p.m. Sunday, Quail Hollow State Park manor house, 13480 Congress Lake Ave., Lake Township near Hartville. Pot luck dinner. Speaker: Joan Mencer, who grew up at Quail Hollow when it was the Stuart family farm. Information: 330-493-0913.
• Scrapbooking, 6 p.m. Monday, Brunswick Library, 3649 Center Road. Create four scrapbook pages. $8. Bring adhesive. Registration: www.mcdl.info or 330-273-4150.
• No-Sew Fleece Blanket, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Brunswick Library, 3649 Center Road. For ages 9-12. Bring two pieces of fleece, each 1½ yards long. Free. Registration: www.mcdl.info or 330-273-4150.
• Beginning Beekeeping, 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Jan. 16 to Feb. 6, Quirk Cultural Center, 1201 Grant Ave., Cuyahoga Falls. $52. Registration: 330-971-8425.
• Needlework Circle meeting, 6 p.m. Thursdays, Seville Library, North Center Street. 330-769-2852.
• NARI Remodel Ohio Home Improvement Show, Thursday through Jan. 20, I-X Center off state Route 237, next to Cleveland Hopkins Airport. Vendor booths, stage presentations, home designed for family members of all ages, designer rooms, pool and spa show, custom doghouse auction. Appearances by HGTV’s David Bromstad, noon, 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. Jan. 20. Show hours: noon to 8 p.m. Thursday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday and next Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Jan. 20. $14; children younger than 16, free. Seniors admitted for half price on Thursday. Parking $8. Information and discount coupon at www.remodelohio.org.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or email@example.com. You can also become a fan on Facebook at http://tinyurl.com/mbbreck, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckenridge and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.