Twinsburg Garden Club will dedicate a marker honoring military members at 2 p.m. Sunday.
The dedication ceremony for the Blue Star Memorial Marker will take place in Babka Park, adjacent to VFW Post 4929 at 9825 Ravenna Road. At the end of the ceremony, guests will walk across the street to the city’s triangular garden, where the marker will be unveiled.
In case of rain, the ceremony will be held in the VFW post.
The Blue Star Memorial Program began in 1944 when the New Jersey Council of Garden Clubs planted 8,000 dogwood trees as a living memorial to World War II veterans. In 1945, the National Council of State Garden Clubs adopted the program and began a Blue Star Highway system.
The Twinsburg marker honors all active-duty service members and veterans.
The garden club is celebrating its 50th year this year.
Local gardener honored
Karen Edgington, a member of the Summit County Master Gardeners, was honored earlier this month as the outstanding Ohio State University Extension master gardener volunteer in Northeast Ohio.
The West Akron resident was one of four nominees for the award, announced at the master gardeners’ annual state conference and awards dinner Oct. 4 in Independence.
Edgington has been a master gardener since 1983.
Thais Reiff of Greene County was named the outstanding master gardener volunteer in Ohio.
Furniture design showcased
The work of Ohio’s furniture designers and the process of modern furniture design are the subjects of an exhibition opening Nov. 7 in Columbus.
The Modern Table: Ohio Furniture Designers will be at the Ohio Arts Council’s Riffe Gallery in the Vern Riffe Center for Government and the Arts, 77 S. High St.
Among the artists showcased in the exhibit are Kevin Shahan of Kent and John Strauss of Canton.
A free opening reception will be 5 to 7 p.m. Nov. 7. The show will remain open through Jan. 12.
Gallery admission is free. Hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays, 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursdays, and noon to 4 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays.
Details are at www.oac.state.oh.us/riffe.
Events and programs
• Community Shred Day, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today, Achievement Center, 4691 Windfall Road, Granger Township, Medina County. Free document shredding offered by the Medina County Board of Developmental Disabilities and Gateway Records Management.
• Spooky Science, 4:30-8:30 p.m. today, Beech Creek Botanical Garden & Nature Preserve, 11929 Beech St. NE, Washington Township, Stark County. Fun, family-friendly education about the natural world. Members $4, others $6, 2 and younger free. www.beechcreekgardens.org or 330-829-7050.
• Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. today and Sunday, St. George Fellowship Centre, 3204 Ridgewood Road, Copley Township. Eclectic items by nearly 100 artists and crafters. Admission $3; children younger than 12, free. www.avantgardeshows.com.
• Cleveland Botanical Garden events, 11030 East Blvd. Ask the Gardener, noon to 4 p.m. today. Garden Book Club meeting, 2 p.m. today. Eleanor Squire Library Fall Book Sale, including books from designer Viktor Schreckengost’s personal library, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and next Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Oct. 27. Boo-Tanical Bash, 5:30-8 p.m. next Saturday (member price $10 per adult and $13 per child, nonmember price $15 per adult and $16 per child, reservations required). Digital Photography Weekend Workshop, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 26-27 (Cleveland Botanical Garden Photography Club members $135, botanical garden members $145, others $155, reservations required). Garden admission: $9.50; children ages 3-12, $4; members and younger children, free. 216-721-1600 or www.cbgarden.org.
• Gardeners of Greater Akron meeting, Monday evening, St. George Fellowship Centre, 3204 Ridgewood Road, Copley Township. Social hour starts at 5:30, dinner at 6:30. Program: Invasive Species by Danae Wolfe of the Ohio State University Extension. $13. Reservations: 330-336-6269. Information: 330-673-3553 or www.ohiogardeners.org.
• Bead Break, 6 p.m. Tuesday, Seville Library, 45 N. Center St. Learn the basics; bring in-progress or completed projects and beads to swap. Registration: www.mcdl.info or 330-769-2852.
• Cardmaking, 6 p.m. Tuesday, Brunswick Library, 3649 Center Road. $10. Registration: www.mcdl.info or 330-273-4150.
• Needlework Circle meeting, 6 p.m. Thursdays, Seville Library, 45 N. Center St. 330-769-2852.
• Egyptian Coil Copper Wire Bracelet, 6 p.m. Thursday, Lodi Library, 635 Wooster St. For ages 11 and older. Free. Registration: www.mcdl.info or 330-948-1885.
• Winterizing Your Pond, 1 p.m. Oct 26, Water X Scapes, 1021 E. Caston Road, Green. Free. Reservations: 330-896-9811. Information: http://waterxscapes.com/seminars.
• Winter Tree ID, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Nov. 1, the Lodge at Allardale, 141 Remsen Road, Granger Township, Medina County. Presented by Ohio State University’s Ohio Woodland Stewards Program. $35. Registration deadline is Friday. Registration: http://woodlandstewards.osu.edu.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to email@example.com or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also become a fan on Facebook at http://tinyurl.com/mbbreck, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckenridge and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.