A new online course can help protect you and your pets from tick-borne illnesses.
The course from the Ohio State University Extension teaches about the various types of ticks, their biology and the health risks associated with them. It was developed by entomologist Glen Needham and pollination expert Denise Ellsworth.
The program is geared to hunters, gardeners, veterinary professionals, extension professionals and others involved in outdoor activities or educating the public. It takes about three hours to complete.
The course costs $10 and is available in the “Yard and Garden” section of http://campus.extension.org.
For information, contact Ellsworth at email@example.com or 330-263-3723.
Dominion East Ohio has received a 2013 Energy Star Partner of the Year Award for its efforts to deliver energy-efficiency information and services to its customers.
Those efforts include the home energy audits the utility provides under its Home Performance with Energy Star program. The audits cost $50 and are performed by a contractor, GoodCents.
More information on the audits is at http://tinyurl.com/dominionaudit, or call 877-287-3416.
FineHomebuilding magazine, a publication geared to home builders, is looking for exceptional houses to showcase in its 2014 Houses issue.
The magazine is seeking homes that showcase craftsmanship, energy efficiency and smart design. Both new and remodeled homes are eligible.
Awards will be given in five categories: Best Remodel, Best Small Home, Best Energy-Smart Home, Editor’s Choice and Best Traditional Home.
Details are at www.finehomebuilding.com/house awards/call-for-entries. Deadline is July 15.
• Homegirl Spring Barn Sale, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today, 2357 Hudson-Aurora Road, Hudson. Sale of vintage and repurposed furniture, accessories and artwork. www.homegirlshop.com.
• Great Lakes Fiber Show, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. today and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, Wayne County Fairgrounds, 199 Vanover St., Wooster. Sales of fiber, equipment, yarn and finished items; displays of alpacas and angora rabbits; activities; competitions; talks; food. Free admission. www.greatlakesfibershow.com/LR or 330-264-9665.
• Cleveland Botanical Garden events, 11030 East Blvd. Ask the Gardener, noon to 4 p.m. today. Eleanor Squire Library Spring Book Sale, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. today and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. BotaniCool School: Art in the Garden for ages 3 to 5, 1:30-2:30 p.m. Friday; members $7, others $10, reservations required. Garden admission: $9.50; children ages 3-12, $4; members and younger children, free. 216-721-1600 or www.cbgarden.org.
• Beech Creek Botanical Garden events, 11929 Beech St. NE, Washington Township, Stark County. Chickadee program, 1-2:15 p.m. today; learn about chickadees and how to sustain the population in your area. Free. Gardening for Butterflies, 2 p.m. Sunday, free, but advance registration is required. Miniature/Fairy Gardening Workshop, 2 p.m. June 2; members $25, others $30, registration required. 330-829-7050.
• Warm Up Akron meetings, 3:30 and 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Mogadore Branch Library, 144 S. Cleveland Ave. Members knit and crochet rectangles that are used to make afghans for needy people in the Akron area, and they’ll teach others the skills. 330-699-3252 or http://warmupakron.webs.com.
• Urban Shepherds Grazing Program, 7 p.m. Wednesday, Spicy Lamb Farm, 6560 Akron-Peninsula Road, Peninsula (accessible from West Boston Mills Road). Learn about grazing as an alternative to mowing. Free. 330-657-2012 or www.thespicylamb.com.
• Miniature Gardening, 11 a.m. June 1, Donzell’s Flower & Garden Center, 937 E. Waterloo Road, Akron. Demonstration of fairy gardens, terrariums and other small-scale plantings. Free. Reservations: 330-724-0550, ext. 110.
• Summer in the Country programs, Case Western Reserve University’s Squire Valleevue Farm, 37125 Fairmount Blvd., Hunting Valley. Getting Started in Beekeeping, 10 a.m. to noon Saturdays, June 1-15; $60. Grow Your Own Food 101, 1-3 p.m. Saturdays, June 1-22; $80. Registration: www.siegallifelonglearning.org/summer-in-the-country.
• Name That Tree, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 7, Ohio State University Mansfield Campus, 1760 University Drive. Basic tree identification workshop. $35, including lunch and materials. Registration deadline is Friday. http://woodlandstewards.osu.edu.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or email@example.com. You can also become a fan on Facebook at http://tinyurl.com/mbbreck, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckenridge and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.