Vacation rentals are popular in Southwest Florida, but there also are a wide variety of hotel options, from budget properties to exclusive resorts.
• Casa Ybel Resort, named a “Best Places To Stay In The World” by Conde Nast Traveler, on Sanibel Island, 239-472-3145, www.casaybelresort.com.
• Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa, 239-466-4000, http://sanibelmarriott.com.
• Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort & Spa, Bonita Springs, 239-444-1234, http://coconutpoint.hyatt.com.
• The Westin Cape Coral Resort at Marina Village, Cape Coral, 239-541-5000, www.westincapecoral.com.
• The Lazy Flamingo has two locations on Sanibel Island, one in Pine Island, and a recently opened restaurant in Fort Myers, serving grouper, conch fritters, fried seafood and a raw bar. 239-472-6939 (1036 Periwinkle Way location, Sanibel Island), www.lazyflamingo.com.
• Bennett’s Fresh Roast is just around the corner from the Edison & Ford Winter Estates, offering coffee and doughnuts (plus breakfast and lunch items), and a Sanibel Island location is set to open this fall (at 1020 Periwinkle Way, next to the Lazy Flamingo). Fort Myers location: 2011 Bayside Parkway, 239-332-0077, www.bennettsfreshroast.com.
• Norman Love Confections, offering gourmet chocolates, desserts, coffee, smoothies and a gelato shop. Fort Myers Chocolate Salon (location also in Naples): 11380 Lindbergh Blvd., 239-561-7215, www.normanloveconfections.com.
• Edison & Ford Winter Estates, open daily except Thanksgiving and Christmas; homes and gardens tour including lab and museum, $20 adults, $11 children 6-12; botanical tour, $24 adults, $10 children 6-12; laboratory and museum only, $12 adults, $5 children 6-12; 2350 McGregor Blvd., Fort Myers, 239-334-7419, http://efwefla.org.
• Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum, open daily except New Year’s Day, Easter Sunday, Fourth of July, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day; $9 adults, $5 children 5 to 16, free children 4 and under; 3075 Sanibel-Captiva Road, Sanibel, 239-395-2233, http://shellmuseum.org.
• Lee County Visitor and Convention Bureau www.fortmyers-sanibel.com.
• Sanibel-Captiva Chamber of Commerce www.sanibel-captiva.org.
• Fort Myers River District http://myriverdistrict.com.