People Helping People is a list of charitable causes in our area that need donations or volunteers. The Beacon Journal has not investigated these causes, so donors should verify their worthiness and the tax-deductibility of contributions.
A link to a form for submitting requests to People Helping People can be found at www.ohio.com/charity, along with tips on researching charities and a list of causes already published.
Questions about submitting information? Call Mary Beth Breckenridge, 330-996-3756.
Battered Women’s Shelter of Summit & Medina Counties is seeking the following:
• Donors to “adopt” families for the holidays. Adopted families will not participate in other community giving programs, so donors are asked to provide all holiday gifts for the entire family. The shelter will provide first names, sizes and gift ideas. Donors will not be able to meet their families, nor deliver the items directly to them.
• Donors to support the Adopt-a-Shelter program by giving items that are used by shelter residents throughout the year: pillows, laundry soap, household cleaning supplies, trash bags, diapers, batteries, light bulbs, paper products (including toilet paper), clock radios, pots and pans, dishes, drinking glasses, silverware, bake ware, small appliances, single sheets, comforters, pajamas, socks, slippers, sweatshirts and sweatpants, crafts, store gift cards and surprise items.
• Organizations to put up giving trees decorated with cards, each bearing a gift suggestion. Donors select cards, buy the gifts and bring them back to put under the tree. Participating organizations should deliver the gifts to the shelter office a week before Christmas. They can also request help with transportation.
• Donations of canned food, boxed products or meats that can be frozen, for use at the shelter.
• Financial contributions given in another person’s honor. The honoree will receive a holiday card acknowledging the gift.
To donate, call the United Way Volunteer Center, 330-643-5512.