Your garden may be flagging this time of year, but your enthusiasm doesn’t have to.
The Stark County Master Gardeners are out to supply some late-season inspiration with Botanica 2012, their annual gardening symposium.
The event is Sept. 29 in the Garden Room at Meyers Lake Ballroom, 3218 Parkway St. NW, Canton Township. Doors open at 7 a.m. for continental breakfast, seating and shopping, with programs scheduled from 7:55 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and more shopping time till 1 p.m.
Speakers are Cynthia Druckenbrod of Cleveland Botanical Garden, who will talk on the topic New Gardens, New Plants, New Trends; Rob Cowie of Suncrest Gardens, All About Hydrangeas; master gardener Cara Smith, The Designer’s Eye — Design Principles to Improve Your Landscape; and master gardener Jeanne Poremski, Beneficial Bugs & Insects.
Cost is $30. Registration deadline is Sept. 17. A mail-in registration form is available at www.starkmg.org.
The Garden Forum of Greater Akron is putting a twist on the plant swap idea.
At a fundraiser Thursday, participants who buy a $5 ticket and bring a plant will get two plants in return. Garden Forum members — mainly board members — are supplying the extra plants, member Hazel Broughton said.
It’s the second year for the two-for-one swap, which proved successful last year, Broughton said. She said last year’s event was the brainchild of a member who had plants to give away, but that member has since moved.
The event starts at 10 a.m. at the Carriage House of Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens, 714 N. Portage Path, Akron. Tickets are available at the door.
Participants may bring plants they’ve dug from the garden or purchased.
For information, call Broughton at 330-400-4613 or Angalene Ondersma at 330-571-6030.
Cabbage patch kids
Freakishly large vegetables are one way to get kids’ attention.
Bonnie Plants knows that, which is why the grower sponsors an annual cabbage-growing program to get kids interested in gardening. The company offers free O.S. Cross cabbage plants to third-grade classrooms — plants capable of producing cabbages that can top 40 pounds.
The kids grow their plants at home and compete for class honors. Class champions are entered into state drawings for $1,000 scholarships.
Third-grade teachers can register for the program now at http://bonnie cabbageprogram.com.
• Northeast Ohio Daffodil Society fall plant sale, 9 a.m. to noon today, 5015 Wooster Road W, Norton.
• Floor sample sale, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. today, Ohio Design Center, 23533 Mercantile Road, Beachwood (off Chagrin Boulevard, west of Interstate 271). Four showrooms open to the general public. www.ohiodesigncentre.com.
• Ask the Gardener, noon to 4 p.m. Saturdays during summer, Cleveland Botanical Garden, 11030 East Blvd. Garden admission: $9.50; children ages 3-12, $3; members and younger children, free. 216-721-1600 or www.cbgarden.org.
• Art in the Park, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. today and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, Fred Fuller Park, 601 Middlebury Road, Kent. Fine art vendors, entertainment, demonstrations, food. Free admission and parking. www.kentparksandrec.com.
• Knitty Gritters, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday, Lake Community Branch, Stark County District Library, 11955 Market Ave. N., Lake Township. Instructions for beginning knitters. 330-877-9975.
• Knitting and Crocheting Circle, 10 a.m. Tuesday, Brunswick Branch, Medina County District Library, 3649 Center Road. Registration: 330-273-4150.
• Warm Up Akron meetings, 3:30 and 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Mogadore Branch, Akron-Summit County Public Library, 144 S. Cleveland Ave. Members knit and crochet rectangles that are used to make afghans for needy people in the Akron area, and they’ll teach others the skills. 330-699-3252 or http://warmupakron.webs.com.
• Needlework Circle meeting, 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Seville Branch, Medina County District Library, North Center Street. 330-769-2852.
• Shrinky Dink Jewelry, 3:30 p.m. Thursday, Brunswick Branch, Medina County District Library, 3649 Center Road. Youth ages 11 to 18 will make earrings. Free. Registration: www.mcdl.info or 330-273-4150.
• Twinsburg Garden Club meeting, 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Twinsburg Senior Center, R.B. Chamberlin Middle School, 10260 Ravenna Road. Program: Why Ever Did I Plant That? Information: 330-425-3626 or www. twinsburg-garden-club.com.
• Hallmark Keepsake ornament signing, 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m. Sept. 15, Kirlin’s, Chapel Hill Mall, Akron. Signing by artists Valerie Shanks and Anita Marra Rogers and sale of two limited-edition ornaments, Mrs. Claus’ Stove and Mrs. Claus’ Kitchen Table, while supplies last. Limit one per customer. www.kirlins.com/promotions.
• Saturday BotaniCool School: Veggie Tales, 10:30-11:30 a.m. Sept. 15, Cleveland Botanical Garden, 11030 East Blvd. For ages 3 to 5. Members’ children, $7; other children, $10. Registration: 216-721-1600, ext. 100, or www. cbgarden.org.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or email@example.com.