The generosity of Beacon Journal readers brought 15,022 pounds of fresh produce to people in need in our community.
That’s the total of fresh fruits and vegetables donated to the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank through Plant a Row for the Hungry, a program operated jointly by the food bank and the Beacon Journal each growing season.
Across our area, gardeners donated their extra yields to benefit their neighbors in need. The donations supplied enough food to provide about 11,555 meals, said Michelle Hinton, the food bank’s director of external affairs.
You can bet the recipients were grateful, and I am, too.
Holiday Home Tour in Medina
Five historical homes, all decorated for the season, will be opened to visitors during the Holiday Home Tour from noon to 5 p.m. Dec. 2 in Medina.
The tour also includes the landmark United Church of Christ, Congregational on Medina’s square and the 1877 Munson House, which houses the offices of the Medina Community Design Committee. The committee is sponsoring the tour.
Tickets are $20 and are available at all Buehler’s and Project: Learn BookShelf stores in Medina County, Miss Molly’s Tea Room and the Medina County Visitors and Convention Bureau. Tickets may also be ordered by mailing a check and a stamped, self-addressed envelope to the CDC at 141 S. Prospect St., Medina, OH 44256.
The day of the tour, guidebooks may be picked between 11:55 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. at the Western Reserve Bank drive-through at 4015 Medina Road, or all afternoon at the United Church of Christ, Congregational on the northeast corner of the square or the Munson House, 141 Prospect St.
Car pooling is encouraged, since parking is limited at some tour sites.
Proceeds will benefit the nonprofit design committee and its work for community beautification and preservation.
For more information, contact Bill Lamb at 330-725-7516 or email@example.com.
Design center open to public
The Ohio Design Centre in Beachwood is now open to the public.
The center contains showrooms that sell high-end furniture, fabric, wallcoverings and other home-decor items. Until recently it was open only to professionals in interior decorating, construction and related trades, except for special events.
The public can now browse any showroom and buy directly from some. Others require members of the public to purchase through an interior designer, but the center can provide referrals.
The design center is at 23533 Mercantile Road, off Chagrin Boulevard, west of Interstate 271. Information is at 216-831-1245 or www.ohiodesign centre.com.
• I-X Christmas Connection, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. today and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, I-X Center off state Route 237, next to Cleveland Hopkins Airport. Gifts, holiday decor, children’s activities, entertainment. $10.99 at the door. Children 12 and younger admitted free. Parking is $8. www.ix christmasconnection.com.
• Holiday Tree Festival, today through Nov. 25, John S. Knight Center, 77 E. Mill St., Akron. Display and sale of more than 400 decorated trees, wreaths and decorations. Free admission. Hours: 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sundays, 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, 2-6 p.m. Thanksgiving Day and 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday. Proceeds benefit Akron Children’s Hospital.
• Cleveland Botanical Garden events, 11030 East Blvd. Blooms-to-Go, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today; help create Thanksgiving flower arrangements for a local organization. Free with garden admission ($9.50; children ages 3-12, $4; members and younger children, free). Garden Book Club meeting, 2 p.m. today. Glow holiday show, Friday through Dec. 31; holiday plantings, trees and decorations, along with entertainment, a gingerbread house display and a Garden Express train ride. Glow admission: $12; children 3 to 12, $6.50; members and younger children, free. 216-721-1600 or www.cbgarden.org. Closed Thanksgiving Day.
• Make ’n’ Take Monday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, Lodi Library, 635 Wooster St. Crafts for all ages. www.mcdl.info or 330-948-1885.
• Knitty Gritters meeting, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday, Lake Community Branch of Stark County District Library, 11955 Market Ave. N., Lake Township. Instructions for beginning knitters. 330-877-9975.
• Gardeners of Greater Akron meeting, Monday evening, St. George Fellowship Centre, 3204 Ridgewood Road, Copley Township. Social hour starts at 5:30, dinner at 6:30. Program: beautification awards and annual service awards. $13. Reservations: 330-336-6269. Information: 330-673-3553 or www.ohiogardeners.org.
• Needlework Circle meeting, 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Seville Library, North Center Street. 330-769-2852.
• Deck the Hall, opens Friday Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens, 714 N. Portage Path, Akron. Music-theme holiday decorations in the Manor House, lighted grounds, entertainment and visits with Mr. Jingeling. Open 5-8 p.m. Friday through Nov. 25, Nov. 29-30 and Dec. 1-2, 6-9, 13-23 and 26-30. Members, $13.50 for adults and $5.50 for youth; others, $17 for adults and $7 for youth. 5 and younger admitted free. Tickets available at the door or in advance at 330-836-5533 or www.stanhywet.org.
• Christmas Around the World, Friday through Nov. 25, Medina County Community Center, Medina Fairgrounds, 735 Lafayette Road, Medina. Crafts, entertainment, food, children’s activities including an opportunity to visit Santa. Hours: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday. Admission: 13 and older, $5; 60 and older, $4; 6-12, $2; 5 and younger, free. www.christmasinthecolonies.com/christmas.
• Crafty Mart, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Nov. 24, Musica and We Gallery, 51 E. Market St. and 20 N. High St., Akron. Sale of uncommon arts and crafts by local artisans. Free admission and parking in the library deck at High and Market streets. www.craftymart.com.
• Knitting and Crocheting Circle meeting, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 24, Highland Library, 4160 Ridge Road, Granger Township, Medina County. Learn the basics or bring your projects and swap tips. Registration: 330-278-4271 or 330-239-2674.
• Garden Club of Kent meeting, 6:30 p.m. Nov. 26, Kent United Methodist Church, 1435 E. Main St. Dinner at 6:30 p.m., program at 7:30. Danae Wolfe, horticultural educator with the Ohio State University Extension in Summit County, will talk about invasive non-native plants. Dinner $9. Reservations due Friday at 330-673-1686. Information: http://gardenclubofkent.org.
• Holiday Memories, through Dec. 30, Hower House, 60 Fir Hill, Akron. Victorian mansion is decorated to reflect memories of holidays past. Self-guided tours noon to 3:30 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays; guided and group tours by appointment. Closed Thanksgiving Day and Dec. 24-26. $8; 65 and older, $6; students, $2; children 6 and younger, free with adult. 330-972-6909 or www.uakron.edu/howerhse.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or email@example.com. You can also become a fan on Facebook at http://tinyurl.com/mbbreck, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckenridge and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.