1. Show less skin. Highlight your silhouette and shape more than showing skin. Remember, less is more.
2. Emphasize the best parts of your shape today, not the shape you had 30 years ago. Focus on your best features. Yes, you still have them.
3. If you have lost or gained weight, visit a bra specialist for a proper fitting. As we age, we droop, but the correct bra can lift you in a way that will make you look like you just “lost” five pounds. And while you are at it, invest in a bra designed to be worn under T-shirts. It should be smooth with no show-through lace or “spillage.”
4. Think like the French: Wear basic clothing that fits well, then add accessories to update classic items each season.
5. Wear narrow pant legs. The rule: The older you are, the slimmer the pant leg. It narrows your silhouette so that you appear thinner.
6. Don’t sacrifice good looks for comfort. Say no to pants that are too loose, too tight or too bejeweled. And the unmentionable “mom jeans” — don’t go there. There are jeans and pants that can be comfortable and fashionable on your body.
7. To wear or not to wear Spanx? If you feel more comfortable with some support underneath, look for lightweight shapewear. Today’s offerings breathe so you can, too.
8. Don’t try to keep past trends alive. Say no to crop tops, Peter Pan collars, glitzy nails, see-through and clinging fabrics, belly buttons on show, tattoos, piercing and writing on shirts (just to name a few don’ts).
9. Those fun-loving, cool-for-summer capri pants can make your legs look shorter instead of leaner. The style is sized for women at least 5-foot-9. If you are shorter, the pants will usually be too long. Hem them to the best place on your leg.
10. The best footwear choice is a platform, wedge, sandal or flat shoe for both comfort and style. Speaking of feet, put on those reading glasses and check your feet for hair. Yes, shaving those tootsies is a must.
--- Fort Worth Star-Telegram