KABUL, AFGHANISTAN: A bomb killed four U.S. soldiers in southern Afghanistan on Sunday, American and Afghan officials said. They were the latest casualties in a 12-year conflict that shows no signs of slowing despite a drawdown in foreign forces.
The U.S.-led international military coalition said four of its service members were killed in the south, and a military official confirmed all were Americans killed by a homemade bomb.
Their deaths bring the toll among foreign forces to 132 this year, of which 102 are from the United States. At least 2,146 members of the U.S. military have died in Afghanistan as a result of the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan in late 2001, according to an Associated Press count. They are part of a total of nearly 3,390 coalition forces that have died during the conflict.
They were killed on the eve of the 12th anniversary of the Oct. 7, 2001 invasion, which led to an insurgency that shows no signs of abatement and a war that has become largely forgotten in the United States and among its coalition allies despite continued casualties suffered by their forces on the ground.
Javed Faisal, a spokesman for the governor of Kandahar, confirmed the four Americans were killed in the province by a homemade bomb.
NATO said in a news release that the four were killed during an operation in the south alongside Afghan troops, but did not provide any further details or their nationalities. The NATO official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly.
Improvised bombs are among the top killers of Afghan and foreign soldiers as well as civilians. The attack came as Afghan security forces take over the brunt of the fighting after the coalition handed over security responsibilities for the country earlier this summer.