Akron is urging residents without air conditioning or fans to seek shelter and stay cool.
The city will provide cold water and extended hours in several community centers for those who need a break from the heat.
The community centers offering extended hours through Friday are:
• Patterson Park: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. today and Thursday and noon to 5 p.m. Friday.
• Ellet: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. today and Thursday and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday.
• Lawton Street: 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. today and Thursday and 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday.
• Summit Lake: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. through Friday.
• Firestone Park: 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. today and Thursday and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday.
“I am urging people to go to the mall, a friend’s house or our community centers to get out of the heat,” Mayor Don Plusquellic said in a news release. “We do not want our residents that cannot tolerate this heat to risk their health by staying in their homes without air conditioning or fans.”