The University of Akron’s Goodyear Polymer Center building was evacuated briefly Tuesday after a flash fire erupted on an upper floor.
Two lab workers mixing chemicals were in the room on the seventh floor about 4 p.m. when the flash fire occurred. They declined medical treatment, Akron Fire Capt. Rod Stewart said.
He said the men were handling a mixture of methanol and chloroform.
Smoke filled a portion of the 12-story building, prompting the evacuation and a large response by rescue workers. Firefighters worked to clear the hazard until about 6 p.m.
No injuries or damage were reported.