Beacon Journal staff report
More than 200 gallons of gasoline was spilled at an Akron gas station before firefighters arrived and turned off the pump.
The spill was discovered just after 12 a.m. Friday at the Sunoco gas station at East Archwood and Inman streets.
Fire Capt. Charles Twigg said someone began pumping gas into a car and then apparently walked away. The pump’s automatic shutoff never activated and an estimated $650 worth of gas spilled in the lot until firefighters arrived.
Twigg said the gas was contained to the parking lot by a curb and hazardous materials workers used special material to soak up the remainder.