The Social Security office in downtown Akron is open despite the government shutdown, but is offering limited services.
Regular hours are being maintained: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays; and 9 a.m. to noon Wednesdays.
There are limited services available, spelled out in the Social Security Administration’s shutdown contingency plan.
The agency said on its website it is curtailing some of its functions “due to Congressional inaction to prevent the Government shutdown.”
The services being maintained include:
• Helping apply for benefits.
• Assist appeal requests.
• Change of address or direct deposit information.
• Accept reports of death.
• Verify or change your citizenship status.
• Replace a lost or missing Social Security payment.
• Issue a critical payment.
• Change a representative payee.
• Process a change in your living arrangement or income (SSI recipients only).
The following services are not being offered:
• Issue new or replacement Social Security cards.
• Replace a Medicare card.
• Issue a proof of income letter.