All CATEGORIES
☰ Menu

Man thankful to be alive after being injured in trailer fire that claimed family dogs, belongings

Beacon Journal staff report

GREEN: A city man who escaped a trailer fire Tuesday night is recuperating in the burn unit at Akron Children’s Hospital.

Beacon Journal news partner WEWS reported that 55-year-old Kevin Freeman is counting his blessings because he and his family got out of the burning home alive Tuesday.

Freeman suffered second-degree burns to the top of his head and told the Cleveland television station his head felt like a propane torch was running back and forth across the top of it.

His wife Maryann suffered burns to her ears and singed eyebrows and his stepdaughter Danielle has two broken ribs and burns to her back from the fire that occurred at about 9:45 p.m., he said.

Everything the family owned was destroyed in the blaze, including three of the family’s four dogs that he believes died in the fire.

Freeman told WEWS his stepdaughter smelled smoke just before flames started shooting down the hallway.

Blocked by the flames, Freeman said he had to break out windows with his arms to get out. He said Maryann pushed Danielle out the window before jumping out herself.

Freeman said he yelled for the dogs but couldn’t get them to respond.

The family’s 4-year-old beagle made it out of the trailer safely.

Authorities said the trailer was a total loss and the fire appears to be accidental. Freeman told WEWS he believes a faulty furnace that had recently been rewired by a friend is to blame.

The family had no insurance on the trailer, Freeman said.

Read the full WEWS report here.

 



MORE IN NEWS

 
  • Main Blog Promo
  • Cavs Blog Promo
  • Browns Blog Promo
  • Indians Blog Promo
  • Beer Blog Promo
  • Fracking Blog Promo
  • Entertainment Blog Promo
  • High School Blog Promo
  • Zips Blog Promo
  • Akron Dish Food Blog
Prev Next