• Summit County Juvenile Court Judge Linda Tucci Teodosio received the Friend of Children Award from Child Guidance and Family Solutions for her approach to children with mental illnesses.
• New officers for the Little Mountain Society of the National Society of the Children of the American Revolution are Megan Jarvis, president; Christian Raineri, vice president; Lucy Connolly, chaplain; Natalie Houser, recording secretary; Mariah Jarvis, corresponding secretary; Luke Houser, treasurer; Logan Connolly, registrar; and Megan Schinker, librarian. The group is sponsored by the Joshua Stow Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution in Silver Lake.
• Many Akron-area students received scholarships from the Ohio Foundation of Independent Colleges. At Wilmington College, they were Dana Roskey of Medina and James Palmer of Akron; at Otterbein College, Kevin Genter of Stow; and at Ohio Wesleyan University, Jeffrey Brauning, Emily Esker, Earl Hamlin, Ian Reed and Marisha Wintrow of Akron, Erin Shoff-stall of Hudson, and Caitlin Zeller of Cuyahoga Falls.
Also, at Ohio Dominican University, Jeannette Harland of Fairlawn and Jalisha Lancaster of Akron; at Heidelberg University, Katherine Seese of Dalton, William Brechun of Clinton and Rachael DeRosa and Sarah Loar of Akron; and at Mount Vernon Nazarene University, Julie Magnuson of Tallmadge, Kathryn Vasquez of Munroe Falls and Renee Czerny of Twinsburg.
Also, at Muskingum College, Jenna Merckle of Apple Creek; at Defiance College, Todd Odell of Hudson; at the University of Dayton, Amy Sobnosky of Wadsworth; and at Franklin University, Tyler Wilkey of Rittman.
• The Alumni Association of St. Vincent-St. Mary High School in Akron announced that four alumni will be honored with Father Thomas F. Mahar Outstanding Alumni Awards: Sister Joan Monsour, Immaculate Heart of Mary, of Akron; Richard Lang of Uniontown; Anne Wise Bickett of Akron; and the Rev. Ignatius Joseph Kury of Akron. Roger Barker and Gary Johnson, both of Akron, were named 2010 Irish Crusader Award recipients and will become honorary members of the Alumni Association.
• Page Kagafas, daughter of
Jim and Patti Kagafas of Akron, was inducted into Golden Key International Honour Society. She is a 2008 graduate of Firestone High School and is a sophomore majoring in nutritional science at the University of Cincinnati.
• Stacey Cadman, daughter of William and Sandy Cadman of Tallmadge, is director of philanthropy and community service for the Panhellenic Council at Ashland University. Michelle Daymon, daughter of Peter and Barbara Daymon of Macedonia, is the council's director of correspondence.
• Michael Flerchinger of Macedonia, Haley Browning of Hudson, Kristen Loop of Medina, Robert Mahaney of North Canton, Andrea Tanner of Chippewa Lake and Alicia VanZanten of Hudson were inducted into Kappa Delta Pi, an educational honor society at Ashland University.
• Nicole Stone was inducted into the Mortar Board honor society at the University of Findlay. She is a 2007 graduate of Hudson High School and is a junior pharmacy major.
• The Malone University cheerleading squad finished first in the Christian Cheerleaders of America national competition. Akron-area members are Allie Fisher of Orrville, Elisabeth Hamlin of Navarre, Sasha Ingram of Canton, Lauren McCallum of Norton, Brooke Mayhew of Canton, Ashley Song of Aurora, Shelby Stover of Akron and Mariah Vacha of Apple Creek.
• Martin Dimitrov, a Stark State College business management student from Akron, was named to the All-Ohio Community College Academic Team, which recognizes outstanding two-year college students statewide. He is an exchange student from Bulgaria.
• Two Akron-area students were elected to leadership positions in the Student Government Association at Xavier University. President-elect is Kevin Contrera of Akron and administrative vice president is Blair Kmetz of Louisville.
• Alexis Kodosky, a senior at Ashland University majoring in criminal justice and environmental studies, was named the Outstanding Criminal Justice Undergraduate Student of the Year by the Ohio Council of Criminal Justice Education. She is the daughter of Cindy and Daniel Kodosky of Spencer and is a 2006 graduate of Black River High School.
• Army Pvt. Stephanie R. Flint, daughter of Jackie Wagner of Akron, graduated from basic training at Fort Jackson, Columbia, S.C. She is a 2005 graduate of Ellet High School in Akron.
• Marine Corps Pfc.
Jordan M. Sturm, son of Jeff and Cynthia Morrison of Akron, completed basic training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, S.C. He is a 2009 graduate of Coventry High School.
• Army National Guard Pvt. Jordan J. Page, son of Kim Shepherd of Akron and Bob Page of Cuyahoga Falls, completed basic training at Fort Jackson, S.C. He is a 2008 graduate of Ellet High School in Akron.
The Akron Beacon Journal welcomes news of civic, school and military achievements. Send notices to Celebrations, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Or fax them to 330-376-9235.