All CATEGORIES
☰ Menu

Kasich defends Medicaid expansion move

Associated Press

COLUMBUS: Gov. John Kasich defended his decision to turn to a legislative board to push through an expansion of Medicaid as the Ohio Supreme Court agreed Thursday to speed up its consideration of a lawsuit over the move.

Kasich said his administration did not thwart the General Assembly by putting the funding request before the state Controlling Board, a seven-member panel of mostly lawmakers that handles certain adjustments to the state budget.

“It’s all within the rules,” he told reporters after a transportation event Thursday. “We’re fine.”

Two anti-abortion groups and six Republican lawmakers are suing Ohio’s Department of Medicaid and the Controlling Board after the board cleared the way last week for Kasich’s administration to spend $2.56 billion in federal dollars to cover thousands more people in the Medicaid health program.

The Ohio Supreme Court granted a request to an expedited schedule in the case.

The plaintiffs had argued such speed was warranted because expanded Medicaid coverage takes effect Jan. 1.



MORE IN NEWS

 
Prev Next