TALLMADGE: A fire destroyed a manufactured home on South Thomas Road near Midway Plaza on Friday.
Tallmadge Fire Chief Patrick Gaffney said a police officer on patrol spotted the fire about 11:43 a.m. and firefighters arrived at the burning residence within a minute.
The trailer’s owner had already fled the trailer and ran to a neighbor’s unit. He was not injured.
Gaffney said an unattended candle start the fire that destroyed the unit. A damage estimate is pending.
The fire was under control by 12:11 p.m. Tallmadge was assisted by Akron and Monroe Falls fire departments.
“It’s a good day when no one is injured and no damage is done to the neighboring properties,” said Gaffney. “The Gaslight Village trailer park was built in the 1950s. There used to be about 120 trailers in the park, but it has dwindled down to about 85 to 90 trailers.”
The unit’s owner told the fire chief that he has lived in the trailer park for 14 years. The American Red Cross of Summit and Portage counties is assisting the unit’s owner.